CarTalk.com Blogs Car Info Our Show Deals Mechanics Files Vehicle Donation

98 civic hatchback dx shuts off while driving

while driving ,vehicle shuts,all electrical shuts off from the dash and radio…will coast to a stop but have tried push starting while still in motion…this has happened to me several times.sometimes i stop completely turn key to off position and just start tha car back no problems…but for me being a daily driver i happens once or twice a day…replace the coil,have scan tool telling me it’s the intake temp sensor…replaced it but check engine ligth stays on with the same code po113 which is the IAT sensor???any clues?

I think the codes and the electrical shut-down are two separate problems. The CEL is on because of the trouble codes, but that’s not what’s causing the car to shut down completely.

You could have a bad connection at a battery cable terminal. Check both ends of each cable. A loose or corroded ground connection can cause the same problem as a bad connection at the battery. Also check the cable that grounds the engine to the chassis.

Another possibility is a faulty ignition switch. The switch has two parts; the lock cylinder and the electrical switch. If the switch is bad it could do what you describe.