98 Altima Starting Problem

98 Nissan Altima

Will not start. Turns over like it wants to start but never engages. Fuel pump engages, new plugs and battery.

Buy one new spark plug. Carry the plug with you and the next time it does not start, get out and pull one plug wire off (pull on the socket part not the wire) put the new plug on that wire and hold the threads of the plug tight against the engine block while you have someone try to start the car. You should see a bright blue spark, and if you are not holding the plug with an insulated tool, you will also see stars! This can rule out a spark problem.

rec check for codes,nissan needs to see cam sig to start same as mitsu,then when running it uses crk sensor,for control

one stupid ??? is there fuel in the tank? had to ask.

Yes, that is the first thing we checked. We even added more just to be sure. The fuel pump engages so i know it works.

pull codes.

Is there a way to pull codes without a diagnostic tool? The car will not start so i cannot take it to a parts store for them to do it. I know on some vehicles you can pull codes.

no IM afraid not,its an OBD2 veh.you can get a 30.00 dollar model. but it will only pull codes,no datastream ect:

Back to basics. Does it have spark during cranking? The very first adviser asked you to do this. Have you?

puter info is nowadays back to basics,very great to get the ball rolling.//

The car is not at my home- I will try this and get back with you.

Yes there is a spark.

Update:
98 Nissan Ultima will not start. Turns over but does not engage.
Confirmed fuel pump operates and connected spark tester and got a spark. It has gas. It is a 2.4 L engine. Any ideas?

You think that there is fuel pressure because you hear the fuel pump run? If that fuel filter has never been changed, it could be stopping the fuel from reaching the fuel injectors. Changing this fuel filter is easy. Click on this link for pictures and instructions: http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/57/aa/0900823d801b57aa.jsp

If the fuel injectors aren’t being worked, they won’t spray fuel into the engine. Check the 10A fuse #21. It powers the fuel injectors. Use a spray can of Starting Fluid (available from auto parts stores) and spray a two second shot into the large plastic intake tube. You can go in through a smaller hose attached to it. If the engine runs for a few seconds, and dies, that shows that fuel isn’t being injected into the engine.
Whatcha got?