97 Toyota Camry LE, V6

Please help…I’ve had battery tested, and alternator tested. Both checked out fine. Battery does not hold a full charge more than a day, and a jump for about 5 minutes.

Window/ Door fuses keep blowing (went through 4 fuses), as does the speedometer/panel fuse. ANY suggestions? other than going with $2,490.00 extended 5 year warranty – which does cover electrical system?

Thanks,

Eric

You need to find a good independent mechanic that will trouble shoot your system, not throw parts at it. Have you used the car talk mechanic finder?

OK. I can look in car talk mechanic finder. So, you wouldn’t suggest I open up door panels and start looking for loose wire (first)?? It’s been too cold yet, but I was going to try that first.

Well, if you know what you’re doing and what you’re looking for, sure!

Not really, but was told that a loose wire could be draining the battery, but that doesn’t really explain the fuse problem?
I’ll go with the mechanic I found in car talk.
Thanks

It sounds like a short somewhere. A good electrical guy should be able to nail it down. Any recent work, like adding radio?

Is there any chance this could have been a flood car?

An extended 5-year warranty on a 12 year old car? That sounds suspiciously like one of those scam warranties to me.

While most people on this board advise that all extended warranties should be skipped, if someone still wants an extended warranty, it should be one from the vehicle manufacturer, not from an insurance company.

However, on a 12 year old car, the only party that would issue an extended warranty is one of those insurance companies, and–trust me on this–those warranties NEVER pay for the repairs that you think will be covered. I have heard countless horror stories of how these firms manage to disallow virtually every claim that is submitted, based on bizarre technicalities. In addition, those companies have a nasty habit of going out of business and disappearing with your money.

DO NOT take an extended warranty from any party other than the manufacturer of the vehicle. Even better is to take the money, place it in a special interest-bearing savings account, and use that for possible future repair costs.