'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS busted auto tranny

I’ve got an Eclipse with transmission problems. The car’s got 132,000 miles, the interior’s shot, and it needs about $1,700 in body work. I can’t afford a new (or used) car note, but is it worth it to spend over $1,000 having the transmission rebuilt? Or should I just junk it and try to lease something?

Well, I doubt that you can get a car that is any better for $1000. You know the problems with the Eclipse and you wouldn’t know all the problems with another used vehicle. A worn interior and dents don’t affect the running of the vehicle. IMHO, leasing is a terrible way to go. As long as your car doesn’t have safety issues (brakes, steering, etc) and the engine runs reasonably well, then the repair is probably worth it. You may be able to find a used transmission in the salvage yard.

I wouldn’t spend the money for a transmission in this car. I’d use the $1,000 toward another car.

What are your needs? For example, do you need to depend on this car to get to work or can you find alternate transportation? How much longer would you plan to drive this car if you did do the transmission repair? The late Tom McCahill who wrote for Mechanix Illustrated published a book in the early 1960’s titled “What You Should Know About Cars”. One chapter was devoted to whether or not one should keep or get rid of a car. If a person just needed, say, six months more of service, maybe a quick patch with used parts would be the answer. On the other hand, if more service is needed, then maybe it is time to move on.

The car is actually my son’s ride. I just hold the title. He’s a sophomore in college, and drives the thing about 180 miles most weekends to come home. He put new tires on it three weeks ago, and other than the transmission, it’s mechanically sound. The body damage came from some idiot that sideswiped him in the parking lot at his college. We only have liability insurance on it, with a $1000 deductible. So, any repairs have to come out of our collective pockets. I figure the car’s only got another year or so at best, even if the tranny hadn’t busted. If the body was in good shape and the transmission was okay, the NADA trade in is only about $2,000 anyway. You guys are right about leasing though. That must have been a senior moment to even suggest it.

They tell me the transmission fluid is “burned” and there are 3 different error codes on the diagnostics. The main problem is that the car is 200+ miles away, at a shop that was chosen out of the phone book. So, I either have to give them the go-ahead to tear into the tranny or go get the thing and trailer it home.

If $1000 will limp the car along for another year or so that money is well worth it. Don’t expect any return on the vehicles value (sounds like a $500 car with working tranny).

I wouldnt put the money in to it either but if it is just the ONLY mode of transportation you have and there is no other way of purchasing another vehicle, the cheapest way to go is probably a junk yard trans.

Tell me, what exactly is the transmission doing???

transman

Oh yea, what codes are stored??? Burned fluid is definately not good but you still might be able to get a few more miles out of it…

transman

A grand sounds a bit cheap for a trans overhaul.
Considering the fluid is burnt, I think your best bet is a salvage yard transmision. Some yards will even install and guarantee it.

There’s also the eBay option such as these, dependent on locale, shipping, or whatever.
http://motors.search.ebay.com/mitsubishi-eclipse-automatic-transmission_Parts-Accessories_W0QQcatrefZC6QQfromZR4QQsacatZ6028