97 Kia Sephia Fuel Delivery Issues

Ok, kind of a long story, but here it goes. One night, I went and got a nice full tank of gas and went out, stayed out for the night. Got up in the morning to go to work, car started, but upon leaving my friend’s parking lot, trouble! All of a sudden, I had a decrease in power, and the car started sounding like a lawn mower, and was definitely missing. This first time it started acting up almost as soon as I started driving. Other times, the car will run fine, and then only once it warms up a little will it start. I replaced the fuel filter, which was a complete pain, and it didn’t change anything. During all this, I have a blinking check engine light. Then I took to the injectors: the motor sounded like it was missing on a cylinder when it warmed up, so when it got to acting up, I would unplug an injector at a time, to try to isolate which cylinder it wasn’t firing on. I got to the 2nd cylinder (from the left) and there was no change like there were with the other cylinders when unplugged. So I replaced that injector, thinking that was the cause of everything. BUT NO. The problem persisted afterwards, and the car has sat for a little while. This may be another post altogether, but now the car is leaking fuel. But anyway: can I assume that the problem is the fuel pump? Or is there something I’m missing? I got from an auto parts website that these cars had both fuel injector issues and engine wiring harness issues. Thanks for any help.

I don’t know why you think this is a fuel issue. When the check engine light blinks it means you have a missfire severe enough to cause catalitic converter damage. You have isolated the problem to one cylinder. Did you think about checking the spark plug? How about the coil for that cylinder? These two options are the likely cause. Remember a cylinder needs fuel spark and compression to burn the fuel/air mixture. Before you consider the fuel pump start with the basics.
~Michael

During all this, I have a blinking check engine light.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here.

There’s not much I can add to the good advice by both Dartman and Mr. Meehan, whom I think has the best analogy about the kid in class waving their hand.

You MUST fix the fuel leak first before driving this car to get the codes pulled.
A leaking fuel injector combined with a spark that is going to jump somewhere due to an engine miss could burn this car to the ground.

Do not blindly assume that injectors are the problem based on a comment. Injectors are pretty much the same on any car - Bosch or Bosch licensed.

OK4450:
I have always loved Joseph’s little kid in the class analogy. Some how I missed that part about the fuel leak. I suspect the it may have been caused by the injector replacement.

OP: OK4450 is right on the money (as always) the fuel leak issue must be taken care of first. A fuel leak can be a dangerous situation and should not be ignored.

~Michael