97 Honda Odyssey loses power ONLY WHEN IT RAINS!

Living in Seattle this is a problem! After driving about 10 miles, either in heavy rain or just in a drizzle on wet streets, my car loses power but does not die and a huge cloud of white smoke comes out the tail pipe. Sounds like a head gasket problem but 2 mechanics have ruled this out. The spark plug wires have been replaced as has the oxygen sensor and rotar but the problem still occurs. Any ideas will be much appreciated!

A “hugh cloud of white smoke” can be vaporized, unburned, fuel. The fuel can be unburned when spark doesn’t occur. I would guess that the high humidity is allowing moisture to condense from the air onto ignition components. You could try a silicone spray, which repels water, on the distributor, ignition coil, and igniter.

When it’s NOT raining and the car is running correctly…get a spray bottle of water and start spraying electrical components…This should find it.

You could try a silicone spray, which repels water, on the distributor, ignition coil, and igniter.

DO NOT DO THIS METHOD…it is very very dangerous…As a liquid the silicone is very flamable. My father-in-law was a hugh believer in this method until he caught is engine on fire. Luckly he only melted his distributor.