'97 Ford Taurus GL Wagon 193.5K (3.0L): Tranny Return Line

‘97 Ford Taurus GL Wagon 193.5K (3.0L): Tranny Return Line

I replaced all the tranny fluid this past weekend (2nd time since new … I know … too long in between). Had a LOT of trouble removing the lower return line into the tranny (I was attaching a 3’ hose to pump it out). I’ve got the 3/8" lines with the plastic tabs that you pinch, but no matter how hard I pinched (bare hands, tools, etc.) I could not get the line to come out. Finally, it DID come out - but with the plastic insert attached (which I don’t think is right … seems to me this piece stayed inside the tranny last time).

After I was done, I then had a LOT of trouble getting the line back INTO the tranny. Simply forcing the line with the insert still on it back into the hole didn’t work, so I ended up pulling the plastic piece off the line and inserting it back into the tranny before trying (several times) to push the line back in to the proper depth. Seemed every time I tried, the line would not go in far enough. Finally, it DID (seem to) be in deep enough (judging by the look of the upper line which I did not touch) … but it was late (and dark) and I didn’t have the nerve to pull back on it to see if it was locked in. I ended up driving it 25’ back to the driveway where it will sit until this coming weekend (no apparent leaks, but not much of a “test”, either).

I should probably replace this plastic insert, right? (I assume this is possible). On re-install, I could never really get it to sit flush with the tranny case. Always had some portion of it’s lip just slightly raised from flush. Maybe it was distorted from being yanked out still attached to the line?