97 Accord: 3 tires are 215/60R15 and 1 is 185/65R15

As the title shares: it’s a 97 Accord: 3 tires are 215/60R15 and 1 is 185/65R15
The 185/65R15 is in the rear driver side position.

There is obviously a size difference.
My question is: Is there any danger to this arrangement?
The rear wheels are just rolling. And there is no ABS for the size difference to interfere with.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Yes, there’s danger. In an emergency stop the car may pull to one side due to the size difference.

How did this happen and why weren’t both tires on that “axle” changed when the one was?

That one tire is quite a bit smaller (0.7" diameter) in addition to being 30 mm (1.2") narrower, so yes, it’s not good for handling, especially in an emergency. I’d replace it. How much tread is left on the other 3? You might find a matching used tire for not too much $$, but make sure it’s not too old (google ‘tire age code’ for info on how to tell), 5 years max.

“How did this happen and why weren’t both tires on that “axle” changed when the one was?”

I am now going to use this car as a daily driver. All 4 tires were replaced about 5 years ago, apparently. And there was a mistake made? Lot of tread left on all of the tires. Only 137k miles on this Accord.

Yes, the smaller tire is smaller. Jumps out at you from side view and back of car view if you know to look for it.

Thanks for your feedback!

Tire people routinely do this error when they can’t find four tires the same size. Usually they get away with it on 2WD cars but it’s something nobody wants on their car. You can roll the dice or break the bank for new tires and I won’t hold it against you.

No honest tire person would do this. Any beadbuster that did this should be fired.

These tires are different enough to cause loss of control in an emergency situation, especially in inclement weather. And especially on a highway off ramp.

No one on this board can responsibly tell you to keep driving. It’s like asking how long should I keep driving on my mini spare.

Do you have a full size spare in this Accord? If so get this shod with another 215/60R15 and relegate this smaller tire to the spare position. It is quite possible that the existing spare is either worn out or ‘aged’ out.

The correct tire size for this vehicle are either 185/65-15 for the LX/Dx models or 195/60-15 for the EX or SE models. I used a 205/60-15 on mine because it has the same diameter as the 185/65-15 and I felt that that size was really too small for the vehicle. The Nissan Altima and Toyota Camry’s of the same year are the same size and bot of them use the 205/60-15.

Rafinesque
Yes, the smaller tire is smaller.

Well said!
I personally wouldn’t worry about it except maybe a little on the highway. Around town, no biggie.

Docnick
It’s like asking how long should I keep driving on my mini spare.

One real lazy guy I sorta knew wore his mini-spare to the cords before he could finally get motivated to buy a new tire. And yes, I’m sure he just bought one.

@keith

Based on your information, the lone 185/65R15 is the only correct tire on OP’s car

And the other 3 are the wrong size

If that is so, something definitely went wrong when they were all replaced, 5 years ago

:disappointed:

If there is a full sized spare in this car, I would check that for size.

Maybe you borrowed your car to someone, they had a flat, put the spare on and now your missing 215/60R15 is in the trunk.
Then they forgot to tell you about the flat.

You got to laugh at yourself if suddenly you remember “oh that’s right I had a flat last year”.

Yosemite