Pair of 185x65x14 and a pair of 195x65x14

Can you use a pair of 185x65x14 and a pair of 195x65x14 on a same car?

Is it bad? Any thing else I am missing?
Also, how old the tire should get to replace them (on the basis of age and not wear)?

I have four 185x65x14 (OEM was 195x60x14) - two are barely legal.

I am considering getting TWO used tires which are 195x65x14 (that means the other two are 185x65x14) - would you get them?

It Depends. What Tire Size(s) Does The Car’s Manufacturer Specify ?
My Pontiac Fiero GT (Two-Wheel Drive) Manufacturer Specifies Two Different Tire Sizes Front/Rear.

I’d go with the manufacturer’s recommendation.

Is this a FWD, RWD, or AWD ?
Are you the original owner ?
Are your replacing the original tires ?

CSA

They are different diameters for the first pair you mentioned. 185/65/14 and 195/60/14 are about the same. On different axles, there should be no mechanical problem in any case as long as they are the same on the same axle. . But, they have different tread patterns, perhaps load ratings and it may affect the abs during braking… If you have traction control and stability control, , you could have problems getting max effectivness out of that as well. It will handle differently and maybe worse in an emergency manuever. Personally, I wouldn’t do it.
It’s always best to have 4 identical tires on any car and that means 4 OEM sizes! If you had an accident and control was an issue and the insurance company found out you were mixing and matching tires, you have just given them an excuse…

No. Keep all 4 tires on the car the same size.

OEM was 195x60x14 - Manuf recommended
Front wheel drive Honda.

@dagosa - you mis-interpreted my post. It is 185/65/14 and 195/65/14 - the proposed mixer

No I did not. I said the first two tires you listed were not equal in diameter. You now have mixed matched tires of different diameters. As well as all the other problems of mixing wear and tread design, you have just added unequal diameters.185/65/14 is smaller in diameter then 195/65/14. 65% of 195 is greater then 65% of 185. This means that the latter (195/65/14) is a taller tire and has a greater diameter.

I See A Pattern In The Responses.
Although I’m Very Thrifty, Myself,
Find A Different Place To Save A Few Bucks.

CSA

You will probably get a lot of different opinions. I have a thing about tires. When push comes to shove, they really are the only thing that keeps you on the road and in control. So I buy and wear four new tires at a time. I want the same size and tread and wear on all 4 corners - because it maximizes the chances that all 4 will be doing about the same thing in the same way. Control. It goes back to my grandfather, I suppose, who always said that if you’re going to skimp on anything, don’t make it the tires.

But anyway…that’s me and I think its best, but others would say different things. The 195 are slightly larger in diameter/circumference, as has been said, so you’ll have two different sizes front and rear - and you would NEVER do it the other way - left vs. right. Most drivers would probably never notice and some would say it wouldn’t make a whole lot of difference. Here is a tire size calculator if you want to play with it: http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/ The 195s are 24" in diameter. The 185s are 23.5" (About - it does depend on wear). The sidewalls are also slightly different.

Short story: opinions will vary, but it’s not the maximal thing for safety, handling and control

You said "I am considering getting TWO used tires which are 195x65x14 (that means the other two are 185x65x14) - would you get them? "

My answer is no. You’re already running two tires that are skinnier than OEM, meaning they’re not as stable on the highway and maybe not as resilient to damage (too small for the load). Couple these with a couple of even different sized tires that are even used, meaning they may have irregular wear and/or internal damage that you can’t see, and IMHO all bets are off.

A FWD doesn’t have the same critical tire match up needs as an AWD, but man, the more you start throwing on used tires of differing sizes, none of them, matching the OEM tire size, is the more dangerous the car becomes.

My main concern would be the tread depth, whether the rubber has hardened with age, and whether or not the used tires have any dry rot or sidewall blemishes.

I’ve run mismatched tire sets in the past with no problems Some cars are fitted with staggered tires when new (maybe some Corvettes for example) and many custom cars have been built using the same principle.s

Why would you buy used tires anyways? Too many question marks

How old are they?
Dry rotted?
How much tread depth?
Decent brand?
Worn evenly?

One thing’s for sure . . . you don’t know what conditions the used tires were subjected to

I consider tires to be a safety item, and you don’t cut corners with safety.

My recommendation . . . buy four new tires of the correct size