96 Saturn SL2 power loss

I have a 96 saturn with a manual transmission. recently i have noticed a loss of power. particularly if i try to accelerate anytime below about 2500 rpm’s. i just changed the oil and filter, air filter, spark plugs and wires, fuel filter and got new brakes installed. none of this has helped. when i do try to accerlate the whole car stutters and shudders and shakes and the engine feels like it’s skipping, or like the gas is only getting through in short bursts. i have also noticed that many times when i am coasting, particularly down hill, the muffler emits a rumbling sound. the engine will wind down (RRRrrrr) followed by the rumbling (pfut, pfut, pfut, pfut). it sounds more like air pushing out in short bursts. any help would be great

Is this power loss at freeway speeds?

You should to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here. It likely will have a format like P1234.

thanks! i will have to do that. the power loss when accerlating is at all speeds. i’ve tried it in first, second, third, fourth and fifth…it’s always if i’m under 2500 rpms. anything 3000 or higher and it’s not an issue nearly as much, at least not with the shuddering.

I have a 99 SL2. I have found the following site very helpful in troubleshooting my car:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/

If you search/post in the S-Series Tech forum, you will get the most help. Also, there is a great How-To Library with many common repair procedures. The first two stickys are very important.