96 Pontiac Sunfire Overheating

Hello, I have a 96 Pontiac Sunfire that is overheating despite numerous repairs.

Initially, I believed the car was overheating because it just needed an oil change and some coolant. I got the oil changed and topped off the coolant myself. This seemed to work for a day or two but then the car began to overheat again. I took it to Tires Plus and they said the thermostat and water pump needed to be replaced. I couldn’t afford the work through them so I brought it to my friend’s well-trusted mechanic.

The car was still overheating after the part replacement, and then the battery light came on. The mechanic came to check it out again and noticed that the Idler Pulley wasn’t putting enough pressure on the belt so he replaced that part, but now the car is still overheating. I don’t think the head gasket is blown, so I don’t know what it is. The car sat for about a year with my aunt until I started driving it 6 months ago with zero problems until now.

Side note: the car initially would overheat when sitting and then cool down when driving but after the idler pulley was replaced it only overheats when on the highway and the rpm is up

Overheating when Idling but cooling down on the highway usually means the radiator fans are not coming on, but now the engine may be damaged by repeated overheating.

1 Like

I havent checked the fan since the idler pulley was replaced but it was turning on before

With a 22 Y.O. Car the radiator is likely partially clogged with rust and scale buildup. You MIGHT be able to find an independent radiator shop to check the flow.
You could also try a chemical radiator flush but, I have little faith in them.