'96 Honda Accord 5-speed not starting consistently

This car started doing this two weeks ago. At first it would only take 2 or 3 tries, and mostly on days cooler than 65 degrees. Then last week it took 9 times once and 15 times another. Sometimes it starts right up several times in a row. New spark plugs, wires, distributor, rotor, etc. Battery is new and connection is fine. It “clicks” or gives a quick “chug” but won’t turn over when it does this. Initially, I didn’t notice any noise at all when it first started doing this, but I may have just missed it. Also, it’s done it recently on days in the 80’s, so temp. might just be coincidence. Most likely to do it after sitting overnight or for more than six hours or so, then, if driven and started several times within the next few hours, usually starts right up, but not always. Very inconsistent. I’ve been told starter’s going out, clutch switch, and fuel filter, but mechanic friend says description doesn’t completely add up to any one possibility…

You might just need a new battery or more likely, cleaning of the battery posts and terminals.

I think your top possibilities are terminal/cable or starter problems. If the terminals were cleaned up thoroughly when the new battery went in, make sure they are tight, and have someone get a good look at the condition of the cables underneath of the insulation. Corrosion likes to hide under there.

Its a 5 speed, so that makes some starter investigation easy. The next time this happens put it in gear and rock the car a bit. Then try again. If you can get it to go reliably by bumping the starter once in a while then you probably need to replace it.

By your description, is not the Clutch safety switch or the fuel filter. Its only a remote possibility that its the battery. Its most likely a connection somewhere between the battery post and the coils inside the starter. Start by cleaning the battery posts and work toward the starter. If you get to the starter and you still have the problem, then order a new starter.

Thanks guys, but it’s not the battery/terminal/cables. The temperature here dropped to below freezing overnight and the car made a new record to start in the morning–23 tries. Drove it to work, then an hour and a half later, had to go to the bank. It started after just five tries. Came back and turned off the engine and decided to see how many tries it would take while warm and recently started, even in cold weather. It started right up ten times in a row. Not wanting to wear it out, gave it a break and went inside. Upon leaving work about ten hours later, it took about ten times to start…

99.9% CERTAIN THAT IT IS YOUR STARTER SOLENOID CONTACT POINTS…You can replace the copper contacts on Honda (Denso) Starter Solenoids…VERY VERY COMMON…I do them constantly and it fixes this issue up right away… I have spared people from buying an inferior aftermarket starter COUNTLESS TIMES simply by doing the right thing and rebuilding the Solenoid… Its TEXTBOOK… Why its not more well known is beyond me…maybe people don’t want to bother getting into the lowly solenoid and just buy a starter…What a waste of money.

What happens is that the plunger in the solenoid gets thrown against the other side of the solenoid body when the electromagnet is energized…upon doing this it moves the bendix gear in position w the flywheel AND it connects the 12V Hot wire from the Batt directly to the Starter motor feed wire… These contacts get eroded from arcing upon contact so many X…SUPER DUPER COMMON…I have done well over 200 of them. TRUST ME…THIS IS THE ISSUE… I think ALL Denso starters are rebuild-able in this fashion…and I LOVE them for that…

Go to this website to see what the solenoid contacts look like…If you can remove your starter then you are able to rebuild the solenoid…Usually you can get by just by purchasing the contacts…the plungers are also available…YOu can usually rebuild the solenoid like 5X before the actual starter motor gets tired…

GO HERE…ENJOY http://nationsautoelectric.com/densoparts.html

BLACKBIRD

Blackbird, Cheers for that. I’ll check it out. Any idea why it happens much more often when it’s colder?

Yeah…because of voltage loss when its cold and its harder to move the physical plunger/bendix gear and thus…at the end…make contact w the contacts. It does happen more when cold I noticed too…Maybe I’m wrong as to the why’s of it…but thats true nonetheless…

Cheers