96 camry starting problems

ok when i go to start my car in the morning the first 5-6 times i turn it over the dosent start,than it starts than dies out about 3 times than it will keep a idle,but if i press the gas pedal when it starts to idle it always dies out but if i let it warm up when it starts to idle it doesnt die out? if i drive it and shut it off as long as the engine is warm it starts right up…anyone have any ideas?? input is needed so when i take it to get fixed i dont get a fast one pulled on me

The next time you go to start the car when it’s cold, turn the ignition switch to the on position so the dash lights come on for two seconds, and then turn the ignition switch off. Repeat this a half dozen times and then try starting the engine. If the engine starts without a problem, the problem is with the anti drain-back valve on the fuel pump assembly. Which is located in the gas tank.

Tester

I agree with @Tester. Have someone competent and experienced test the fuel system.

You may also want to check engine compression. Engines with out of adjustment valves (read tight) often have low compression and have very extended cranking before starting. Another symptom is that restarting a warmed up engine is no problem. However, letting it sit overnight will result in the original problem.

well i tried this yesterday morning and it started sooner but still had to do the same ritual as i usually do,i did not mention in my origonal post that before it ever did this when the problem was,when i would drive to work (15 miles) when i would come to a complete stop say at a stop light when i would press the gas pedal it would spudder out,and take about 15 minutes to re start i took it to a mechanic and he said he instaled a new ignighter?? not sure if he may have done somthing wrong when instaling it???

As the others have indicated already the trouble you describe sounds like a fuel delivery problem. I suggest you replace the fuel filter if that hasn’t been replaced recently. If that doesn’t help I then suggest you have the fuel pressure checked to see if the pump pressure is okay. Another thing you could do to see if the fuel is a problem is to spray a small amount of starter fluid into the intake and see how the engine reacts to that. If it starts up quickly then the fuel system is probably the cause of the trouble.