94 Civic turns over O.K., fuel pump O.K., but won't start

I have a 1994 Civic LX, which has 1.5 liter engine. A few days ago, it wouldn’t start. It turns over very strongly, but there is no fuel pump noise. In this car, the fuel pump runs for about 2 seconds before cranking, but there was silence.

I removed the fuel pump and hooked it up to the battery, it ran find. I understand that it was running empty, so it may still be bad.

Someone suggested that it may be the main relay, and it costs about 60 dollars from the dealer. If it is not the fuel pump, what is the next most likely item I should check in the car and how?

Thank you.

The main fuel relay could be the problem. This is a common failure on older Hondas. You should be able to get one from any auto parts store, probably at less than dealer price.

You have checked the fuel pump fuse, right?

No, I have not checked the fuse. I can’t find it. It’s not in the fuse panel under the steering wheel, and it’s not in the fuse box in the engine compartment.

Also, I can’t find the relay.

I am thinking that if it were the relay, it should fail somewhat gradually, but this thing just quit. I tried starting over a few days, but it just wouldn’t start. So, fuse might be a good suspect. But I can’t find it.