91 Ford Thunderbird

I have a 91 ford t-bird with 50K miles and it fails to start after driving it for about 15-20 minutes, shutting it down, and then trying to restart it again after about 1 hour. If I wait for about 2-3 hours later, it will start fine. I took it to the dealer and they said they could not duplicate the problem, but if it reoccured, they suggested I look at the EGR valve and mass airflow sensor. The problem recurred so I replaced the MAS and EGR valve, solenois and sensor, but the problem still occurs. I inquird with a local mechanic and he suggested it might be the engine control module which was the subject of a recall, but my engine does not have the module installed on the distributor. According to the books it is supposed to be installed next to the radiator, but it is not there either.

Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

If the car cranks but wont start, then it sounds like a “Hot soak restart” problem. That is where the fuel turns to vapor before it reaches the injectors. If you have never changed the fuel filter, that is where the problem may be. If that doesn’t do the trick, have the fuel pump replaced. If the car acts just like it is running out of gas then I would definetly look into these two areas.
I believe Ford fazed out Control Modules as computers started to be used in cars more and more. If you replaced the Mass Airflow sensor, I would bet you have a computer controled engine, not a control module.

I absolutely don’t remember where the module is located on this car but I thought it was either in the air cleaner housing or near the right front strut tower. Have you followed the distributor wire harness in an attempt to find the module?
The TFI-IV modules were certainly problematic and cause the problems you’re experiencing.
If the info you’re getting about location is from a Chiltons then always take that with a grain of salt.

Another thing that could be causing your problem is the ignition switch. I think these switches are under recall so you should contact the Ford dealer with the VIN to see if the recall has ever been performed. Ignition switches can get hot, break down electrically, and become operative when cool again.
(I think the reason the switches fail is because the cabin heater fan current draw is through the switch. The fan draws a significant amount of current (especially so when worn) and this excess current will burn the switch over time).

Thanks. The car does have a computer and it was replaced recently as well. I’ll replace the fuel filter because it has never been replaced. Hopefully that works.

Click on this for the location and instructions form Auto Zone Web site: http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/14/d1/dd/0900823d8014d1dd.jsp for the ignition module

Try this one, also: http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/14/d1/45/0900823d8014d145.jsp for the TFI ignition module.

Ask over at http://forums.tccoa.com/

you said after you shut off the car not that it shut off by itself. a bad stater that gets hot will not turn until it is cold. if you can see the starter take a cheap fire ext and spray the stater to cool it down and then try it .