91 Corolla what did I break?

There’s been quite a few comments here about folks having trouble with rebuilt half-shafts. It is possible one or both of the CV joints on that half-shaft are defective, or improperly lubed. Or the half-shaft is simply the wrong size. Have you tried putting the old half-shaft back in? That’s worth a shot. If no noise with the old shaft, then you could simply rebuild the old one, clean it out, re-lube it, install new boots, and forget about the new rebuilt one that’s making the noise.

Well, the heat wave broke and I was able to get back under the car. I looked inside the tranny with a flashlight. Nothing looks broken, but I did notice the spring from the seal was hanging loose. Then I took the clip off of the new (rebuilt) axle inner “tulip” and slid it in and out. Goes in all the way fine, fits nice and tight. I’m convinced the problem is with the tranny, but have no idea what it could be, linkage slipped??? Anyway, I’m stopped agian until I can get a new seal.

I’m glad the heat wave broke for you, I don’t expect a break here until the middle of September. I am more optimistic about your transmission, I think when you get a good axle, it will be OK.

@bzb882 … hmmm, this is a toughie … something is preventing you from fixing this straight away … maybe try apologizing your 91 Corolla for the “clunker” reference … lol

Seriously, it seems to me you need to put the old axle back in and confirm the noise goes away. Once you do that, you’ll know for certain what needs to be done.

A common thing that happens with these is that in addition to changing the tranny fluid and fiter, The differential fluid needs to be changed at the same interval.

Finally figured it out. The oustide cv joint on the remanufactured axle was the problem. It wasn’t pressed on all the way. Rebuilt the original axle, problem solved.

When I replaced the pass. (right) axle on my 91 Corolla a couple years ago, the axle kept falling out of the tranny. After some head scratching, I finally figured out that the bearing in the hub was bad giving it just enough play for it to disengage. Replaced the hub and all has been well since. Don’t forget to change the diff. fluid as this is a common grenading point on these AE92.

Another reman axle bites the dust.