'90 Honda Accord shakes and bad gas mileage

I own a '90 Honda Accord and it constantly shakes, has poor acceleration and seems to use too much gas. I thought it was the catalytic converter and I installed a high flow cat. The fuel pump went out so I had that replaced. It shakes less since replacing the cat but I still see the gas gauge go down too low when I press on the gas and the car will stall and stop as I get to “E” when normally I was able to drive many miles past “E”. Any guesses? I’m wondering if I need to replace the fuel pressure regulator.

You Can Replace Parts One After Another And It Might Be The Last Part That Finally Fixes It. It Would Make More Sense To Have The Problem(s) Properly Diagnosed.

Also, this car is now 21 to 22 years old. This car is a senior citizen in car years. Putting lots of money into an old Honda is generally not a wise investment.

Have it checked by a competent mechanic, probably starting with a compression test, and if it’s not a really expensive fix then patch it up for short time.

Begin the “letting go” process. Save your money for a younger car that is more physically fit.

CSA

The most likely reason is that your engine is simply worn out. A compression test will give you the answer. If that turns out to be the case, add no more new parts.

Your engine will still run and you can continue to drive as long as you are willing to accept that it is no longer a peppy youngster and cannot ever be one again.

It sounds to me like you’re just running rich. Replace the thermostat, check the coolant temp sensor, and fuel pressure regulator.

Alternatively, how old are those spark plugs & wires?

“Letting go”??? I’m sorry guys. I don’t care that my car is legally old enough to drink alcohol. I got it five years ago at 65K miles and have 170K on it now; I’m hoping to hit 250K before I retire the car or pass it on to one of the kids; I really want one of those cool antique license plates.

I replaced the radiator, thermostat and several hoses; the radiator cracked and the car had cracks in at least two hoses. The car was pressure tested when I had the brake cylinder replaced; it was leaking. The spark plugs are new. The plug wires could be replaced and yes I’m looking for a fuel pressure regulator and I plan to replace the transmission fluid. All easy and fairly inexpensive.

Well, its time to just lay it all out there or we continue to play a needless question/suggestion & answer game.

Why would you do the plugs & not the wires? How is the distributor cap?

There’s no need to guess about a fuel pressure regulator. If it is the problem then you will likely find liquid gasoline in its vacuum line. You can also just put a fuel pressure gauge on it, make sure the pressure is within specs and that it rises when you disconnect the regulator line.

So you have a new thermostat. How is the coolant temp sensor?

Looking at the carb or injectors for proper operation might be helpful.