I’ve had this car far longer than I like to admit. Indeed, it was my first car. She’s now up to 106k orig mi, and just died on me. Drove it from MS to NC to CA, and it died a week later. It has me stumped.
It failed smog with high CO at 2500rpm. The same day, it started running very rough, then lost all power, then died over the course of a day.
- Limped into the parking lot.
- Tune up overdue. Replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter. $$. No change.
- Hole in radiator. Replaced. $$$. No change.
- Plugged O2 sensor. Replaced. $. No change.
- Swapped ECM. No change. Swapped back.
- Towed 25 miles to nearest diagnostic shop. $$
- Flat rate diagnostics (6.5 hrs labor, wow)
- Result: Internal alternator short, high resistance in 5 of 6 injectors.
- Towed 25 miles home.
- Swapped alternator. No change. $
- Fuel pump relay swapped, sounds normal. No change. Swapped back.
- Fuel pump pulled, strainer checked. All good.
- Fuel pressure at rail normal (39 psi key on acc, 45 psi cranking).
- IAC cleaned. No change.
- Spark tested visually. Looks good.
- Battery tested bad. Replaced. $$. No change.
- Checked and cleaned all grounds, electrical connectors, harnesses, etc.
- Checked all vacuum lines. Looks good. No fuel smell.
No idea what to do now. Any ideas for things to check or test?
Here’s one hint… if I spray WD-40 into the intake, I can get it to idle PERFECTLY for 5-10 seconds before it dies.