87 Dakota LoadFlite A998 automatic transmission band adjustment puzzler, with slippage

This morning the truck drove perfectly at startup without my heating up the transmission first. At this point I am going to adhere to the time-tested adage of, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” The atf is a perfect red color. The hot plate I used is pretty weak and was positioned about 12 inches away from the pan. I doubt the oil was heated to a higher temp than it gets under normal driving conditions in the triple digit (F) temperatures we get in Fresno this time of year.

When I emptied the old ATF I got about 4 1/2 quarts. The manual says the capacity is 4 quarts. Anyway, the old fluid was less than one year old.

At this point, the only thing that makes sense is that the old filter got clogged (disturbing in itself) and the tranny was starved for fluid, hence the slipping, and the atf took it’s time getting to the torque converter. Feel free to offer explanations that might fit the behavior described previously. The band adjustment error is not germaine to the main problem of slippage at startup and can be ignored.

I think it is time for a rebuild on this transmission. The conditions you describe indicate possible old, stiff, and leaking piston seals. When you get the engage/disengage condition, that is an indication that the piston seal is expanding against the cylinder wall and springing back. When the transmission oil is warmer, the seals becomes more compliant and hold the oil pressure properly. 170k is a lot of mileage for a transmission in the SJ valley climate.

If you are wont, you might try rebuilding this transmission yourself. Get the service manual for your truck. Look on ‘youtube’ for relevant videos of disassembly, reconditioning, and reassembly. Determine if this is a job you feel comfortable doing, otherwise farm it out to an independent overhaul shop. These transmissions are fairly simple to overhaul but you have to be meticulous.