87 chevy truck

i have a 1987 chevy r10 that he gas hand doesnt work what could be wrong with it? the fuse was blown but i put a new one in but it still dont work. could it be a bad ground?

Silly question: What is a “gas hand”? Fuel gauge, perhaps?

You got it mark. The fuel gauge is known as a “gas hand” in the south. It’s like calling a water hose a “hose pipe” in the northeast. To each his own.

yup thats it… im from the south … southern born southern bred ill b southern till the day im dead! now could it be a bad ground?

Possible. Could very well be the sending unit as well.

You must mean an S-10. My guess is the sending unit in the gas tank as well.

It very well could be an R10. In 1987, GM was still identifying 2WD or 4WD trucks in their full size truck line with the fifth character in the VIN, and for 1987 only, they used different characters to identify a 2WD or 4WD chassis, R and V respectively rather than the familiar C and K designations. They may have done this since 1987 was still the old square body style, but was the first year for fuel injection. That’s my only theory, but I don’t know for sure.

As for your fuel gauge issue, a blown fuse is often a sign of a short circuit or some other cause for overload. Start checking out your wiring, starting at the sending unit for signs of obvious damage. Sounds like you got rid of one project in favor of another one. Whatever became of the Camaro?

The sender, inside the tank, a simple float rheostat, IS the ground…The wire from the gauge is hot…

You have an '87 Chevy P/U that hasn’t completely rusted away?

Watch it Bubba, I’ve got an '85 Silverado 6.2 diesel I’m quite fond of! Okay, so it’s not quite a Chevy anymore … :wink:

As for the fuel gauge, check for 12vdc to the gauge, check that the tank is properly grounded (that’s a safety issue too). If you disconnect the sending wire from the tank terminal and remove the sending unit from the tank, you should read X-Y resistance with an ohm meter connected between the terminal and housing of the sending unit while working the float up and down by hand. Typically, one will check for some resistance between zero and about 50k ohms with the sending unit in the tank along with some amount of fuel. If the sending unit shows an “open” it’s inop. Some of these are known to break connection between the top mounting plate of the sending unit and the actual resistor portion, may be an easy fix once removed from the tank.

If this gauge is located in the composite instrument panel, the printed circuit assemblies are known for delamination of the conductors which often results in the gauge/wire plug failing to make connection as well as broken circuit foil. I think you can still buy the replacements but it’s better to re-work the whole assembly yourself using actual wires.