72 Mustang Steering Linkage

Can the pitman arm on a 72 Ford Mustang be adjusted by rotating it 1 or 2 teeth on the spline, or is there a master spline that allows for only one alignment?

I think… I think it is keyed such that it can be 180 off, but can’t be moved only a couple of teeth. Dare I ask why you want to do that?

I don’t believe so, I believe it does have a alignment spline so you can only move 90 degrees.

Are you asking because the steering wheel is off center?

You never have to move that. If your steering wheel is turned left while you are going straight, you lengthen the right tie rod and shorten the left one equally.

Or you can take off the steering wheel and center it as the car is pointed straight. That is easier I think.

Nope. The steering wheel is splined to go on only one way.

Or you can take off the steering wheel and center it as the car is pointed straight. That is easier I think.

No! You never do that. I’ve never seen any reputable source do anything but condemn that action.

Sorry, but I did it for my 1968 Shelby GT350 and it worked fine, guess the '70 Mustang has a different spline alignment for the steering wheel.

If the steering wheel is off-center then the tie rods are misadjusted or something is bent/worn out in the front suspension.