$700 to replace spark plug

According to my source, the F-sport only calls for 1.3 hours labor (hour and 18 minutes) to change out the (6) spark plugs, so pretty basic for a newer vehicle… So no worries about only having 3 out of 6 (plugs) replaced due to complexity…

I can almost guarantee you, you had rather do all 6 of those then the one (1) behind a header tube (#7 plug) on my old car, and the picture doesn’t do it justice… :rofl:

Or the one behind the steering column on the old S10 Blazer 4x4 4.3L V6…

+1
If you have ever taken a look at the videos from “Just Rolled In”, most of them show the incredible damage done to vehicles by owners who attempted to do their own repairs. Most likely, someone told those vehicle owners that “anyone could do it”–which proved to be both wrong and costly in the long run.

Here is a compilation video, but there are plenty more that show why some people shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near a tool box:

1 Like

+1, +1

We used to get the big Tree service bucket trucks (2 ton Topkick type) that told their drivers to check and top off the fluids every morning before driving them. Well to say the least more than a few times we had the privilege of replacing all the brake parts that had rubber in them, master cylinder, wheel cylinders etc…

Also had some house painters decide to do their own front brakes (pads and rotors) on their Chevy G20 work van, they removed the rotors and laid them flat on the ground, installed the new rotors, then the old wheel bearing and washer, nut cotter key and reinstalled the pads and rotors… Ummm, did I miss something?? Yes, the same thing they missed, the inner wheel bearings, cause they never flipped the rotors over and saw the seal and bearing…

Yeah, some people just should not work on vehicles in any way shape form or fashion… But they do supply entertainment to the mechanics as well as a nice payday when they do…

2 Likes

While easier than a transverse engine, the IS350 sure has some stuff to get through to find the spark plugs.

1 Like

Lifetime to the manufacturer means it will last past the average time period the first owner keeps a car - which is about 8-9 years and under 150k miles.

Since I keep our vehicles well past that range…I change the fluid every 50k miles. Hasn’t failed me yet.

1 Like

Before I retired, time was money. If I could do a repair on the car in an hour or less, I would do it. Otherwise, the car went to the shop. When I was in graduate school, we lived in married student housing. The rent was $90 a month and included all utilities except telephone. The time period was from the fall of 1969 to the summer of 1971. I could have rented a place off campus where I would have had the space to work on the car, but the cost would have been over $150 a month. Also, I would have had to drive to campus and hunt for a parking place. When we lived in married student housing, I could walk out the door of the building, get on a bus, and be at my classroom building in five minutes. There were students in the same program that were there the year before I enrolled and were still there a year after I completed my coursework. It saved me money to have a service station just off campus do the maintenance on my car.
As a faculty member in a university, promotion and merit raises depended on publishing research and doing a good job in the classroom. I enjoyed working with students and exploring ideas that led to publications. This is how I chose to invest my time. I also enjoy playing French horn and play in two bands and a community orchestra. I would rather spend my time playing horn than working on the car. I don’t have a lot of dexterity in my hands, so it takes me three times as long to do a repair as a skilled mechanic. For those people who enjoy working on their vehicles, I say “go to it”. Even in retirement, there are too many things I prefer doing than working on our vehicles. You can call me lazy, but at age 82, I think I have earned the right to be lazy.

5 Likes

Neighbor of mine just did the same thing, couldn’t understand why 3 different brands of rotors wouldn’t fit his truck.

1 Like

The driver side manifold covers plugs. And each plug has COP so a few little tabs to break. A simple plug job can be hard sometimes.

Oh these guys drove it like that, brought it in saying the van didn’t want to stop, yeah, it cost them ball joints, spindles, even stretched the brake hoses… It was a good day for a very small shop…
Too bad I didn’t need any painting done, could have done some horse trading… lol

Or just change the 3 plugs in the front and then wait for a misfire to start on the rear plugs. Then change the rear. Keep good records.

A large number of people just wait until there is a misfire or it won’t start at all to change the spark plugs.

1 Like

There aren’t ‘front’ or ‘rear’ plugs in an IS350. It’s RWD.

1 Like

Why are you changing the plugs at 60K miles? It was mentioned earlier in this thread that plugs go 100K or more. I checked a Camry manual and Toyota says 120K is the service interval.

Toyota engines with direct fuel injection usually have a shorter spark plug service life.

I was curious about the same thing but both Toyota and Lexus recommended changing the plugs at the 60k mark.

However, Lexus disagreed with Toyota on the transmission fluid, saying transmission service should be performed at 100k miles instead of 60k miles.

When Toyota went to direct injection the sparkplug interval went down to 60k miles.

What services does Toyota recommend in the owners manual or service manual that came with the car? Read it carefully. Pay attention to whether your usage is closer to normal service or severe service. If there are footnotes, read them.

You are correct. I spoke to Lexus dealership a few hours ago and they said the same thing you’ve said here.

I’m surprised though that Lexus charges $560 to replace the plugs compared to Toyota’s $700.

I’m a bit doubtful about the independent shop because everywhere else I called regarding the price to change out the spark plugs suggested $500 +, and they’re not using OEM parts.

The one independent shop charging $360 just seems too good to be true, especially when that they said they’d use OEM.

1 Like

That is why I questioned if they quoted you for the four-cylinder engine.

The service writer at the Toyota dealer probably quoted you parts and labor for what they thought was a comparable Toyota model car.

1 Like

I can’t remember the last time I saw a Hooker header. And that’s what you get for driving a Mopar. :laughing:

Somehow or other my Snap On wobbly spark plug socket fits right in there without having to pry or remove anything else.

1 Like

Lexus says $37 for a single plug. So that comes about $222 for 6.

I see on Amazon all 6 amounts to $53 but I’m not quite sure if they’re OEM. The description on the item says: “ 90919-01263 FK20HBR8 Dual Iridium Spark Plug Compatible With 9091901263 90919 01263 Car Accessories 4-6pcs (Color : 4pcs Spark Plug),6pcs Spark Plug“