'64' Mercury Brake Booster

Good Morning Gentlemen.
I’m trying to figure out what the best course of action would be for me as far as purchasing a new power brake booster for my car. I have found other companies charging $400 and more for one. I did however find one asking only $200, only it clearly stated that a “Proportioning Valve” is not included.
Included however is:
8" Dual Diaphragm Power Brake Booster

• Cast Iron Master Cylinder
  • Bracket & Pedal Rod
  • Will Work On Most Full Size Fords.
  • Rod May Need To Be Cut For Some Models.
    I’m still pretty green when it comes to replacing such parts, so I want to make sure that I’m gonna be okay buying this booster and not need anything else extra to get power brakes back in my car. I did some research, and if I read correctly. A Proportioning valve is already on my car. So I shouldn’t need to get another one. I’m on a limited budget, so I’m hoping that I’ll be getting my money’s worth.
    Thanks alot.

SGT Lindstrom

I’ll refrain a little since I’ve only had one go bad and my BIL replaced that while I watched. First you want to read the repair procedure in the service manual to see what is required. I see no reason why you need the master cyl at the same time. They are separate parts. I would rather get one out of a junk yard than some generic part that you have to retrofit. JMHO

I’m with Bing. If all you need is the booster, why do you need the master cylinder, brake rod, and proportioning valve?

UPDATE: I looked around some of the sites I saved for my '62 T-bird resto, and the brake booster is a very expensive part. It appears that the master cylinder is included because it is very inexpensive, and changing both together would eliminate any problem with this portion of the brake system. Some even include the proportioning valve.

For this much money, I’d prefer something that was pre-sized to fit. Cut to fit parts bother me, especially with brake parts.