6 speed Acura....needs a 7th gear!

Running at any RPM doesn’t help the engine. Saying that something doesn’t help, when it also doesn’t hurt, is a little sensationalist. 3000RPM on that engine is not going to cause any abnormal wear.

And really, trying to argue with my post in your first sentence and then admitting that you don’t have an argument in your second is kind of absurd.

3000+ at 65mph in a 6sp TSX…does sound rather high to me…in fact if I had to guess…I think you may be in FOURTH GEAR… Have you made certain that your shifter is actually capable of engaging the 5th and 6th gears? You might THINK you are in 6th and the shifter cable or mechanism…isn’t moving over to the right far enough to actually engage 6th? A possibility…I’ve seen it happen anyway…

Go on a Honda forum and see what those guys are spinning at 65 mph…Might be perfectly normal, but it doesn’t sound normal to me… My Honda Accord with an H22 and LSD 5sp Prelude transmission would spin my engine at 4000 at 80 Mph…3500 at 75 I think? THAT was normal…AND to be honest it had the close ration trans so it kept Rpm’s up high so that when you engaged VTEC at 5500Rpm…it would be able to remain in VTEC into the next higher gear…it was all planned out by Honda… But your example doesn’t sound right to me unless they had really short ratios in your tranny… The Honda/Acura forum guys will have the ratios for your trans listed…and possibly mph/rpm info in a listing as well…even if not…you can calculate the target rpm once you know the ratios and final drive.

Check your shifter…linkages…cable…shift lever on trans…Double check it…etc

Blackbird

HB, it’s geared for 69 mph at 3000 rpm in 6th.

Hmmm…then what gives here? Does the OP have different wheels? Low low profile tires? If its good for 69 at 3K… Speedo error?

The OP said 65 at 3000 rpm. Isn’t that close enough
Crap, I’d drive it in 4th and keep the RPMs up to 6000, no amount of speed will harm the engine!
Right, Shadowfax??

Does any rotating device have a finite number of revolutions until it is worn out? If the pistons each travel 1 mile reciprocating in their bores for every mile that the car travels in 4th gear, will adding overdrive and slowing the engine so that the pistons only travel .75 miles to move the car a mile add to the serviceable life of the engine?

I drive a 1991 GEO Prizm GSI with the Toyota 4AGE motor in it. Redline on it is 7700 and at 75 mph it is at 4000 in 5th, and I have had it there all day long on trips. I use to be concerned when I first got the car, but not now. They are designed for this. I can be at 75 tap the gas and it is more than happy to rev way past that. Our motors were designed with that high of a redline for a reason :slight_smile:

Rod, don’t forget that a slower cruising engine have parts inside that rub harder. Engine wear should be about the same over the life of the vehicle

I had a little xb that howled at 3000 rpm doing 60. When I sold it@150k, it was routinely beating the EPA estimate. That engine was hardly worn.

However, I’d have liked an 8 speed manual. The 1st two gears would be low gears for starting on ultra steep San francisco hills without clutch abuse. The 8th would be the quiet cruise gear.

chunkyazian11:04AMReport

" Rod, don’t forget that a slower cruising engine have parts inside that rub harder"

Who came up with that idiotic idea??

Elly, I’m kind of a blunt guy. I could waste time trying to explain to you the difference between 6,000 and 3,000 RPM, but I think it would be lost on you. You’re just trolling for a fight, you’ve made it patently obvious in this thread alone that you don’t know what you’re talking about (in your first post you said you don’t know anything about the TSX but 3,000 seems high! and then you argued with yourself in your reply to me by saying that 3,000 isn’t really high, but that I was wrong anyway). Now’s a good time for you to bow out of the thread gracefully, because you’re spouting bad information, you’re not helping the OP, and that isn’t your goal anyway, since you’re busy sniping at my comments for reasons known only to yourself.

As for the 65/69 discrepency, I’d say speedo error combined with low tire pressure is probably to blame.

Hmmmmmmm…I…see…deleted posts in the near future…hmmmm

FWIW,maximum average piston speed is limited to about 60 mph and the stresses increase with RPM. But, of course, there is an RPM threshold that must be reached for an engine to function properly. Operating RPMs are based on the torque and horsepower bands and gear ratios that make the best use of the range between peak torque and peak horsepower give the best performance. Cruising at 3,000+ RPM at 70 mph makes for a responsive performance but at the cost of fuel mileage and reduced engine life. Or so it would appear.

Hmm, asking for a seventh gear…
dude, my 79 could use a FOURTH speed and I’d be happy !

looked for a video of someone split shifting a Deuce and a half but no such luck. This one shows more shifting than anyone wants to do. But it’s what it took to keep a large truck on the road not too long ago.

Speedo error maybe but low tire pressure would not change the ratio of the RPM to the speedo. I can’t believe that a guy as inteligent as you would think that low tires would cause the speedo to read differently.

3000 rpm is not very high but I would not drive that hard all day long.
Isn’t there someone on here that could tell Texases that he is wrong about the low tires?? Low tires will cause the actual speed to be lower than the speedo reading, but would not affect the reading between the Tach and the speedo.

Motorcycles often are afflicted with permanently-in-a-passing-gear gearing, even some of the V-Twin cruisers with engines that are tuned for low rpm torque. I think it’s to please the people who want high gear passing power, as for me, that’s what the other 4 or 5 perfectly good gears in the transmission are for.
Fortunately, on a chain drive motorcycle, that’s pretty easy to remedy. My Kawasaki ZRX1200 has been regeared with a 18/41 sprockets replacing the stock 17/42 sprockets.
How much it helps gas mileage depends on your cruising speed. I get 50-52 mpg at 60 or so, if I go 80, I may as well have kept the stock gearing.

We’re talking about a 4mph difference. Speedo error and low tire pressure could easily explain a 4mph high reading on the speedo. 4mph on the tach is going to be barely noticeable, which means that it’s perfectly within reason that the OP would report 3krpm at the wrong speed reading.

"4mph on the tach is going to be barely noticeable, which means that it’s perfectly within reason that the OP would report 3krpm at the wrong speed reading."
Absolutely!!
I said before that 4 MPG is insigficant. I will say again that low tire pressure will not affect the speedometer reading. !0 inch tires would not affect the speedometer reading.
The OPs car is operating as intended!!

Elly…what do you mean the tire size will NOT affect the Speedometer reading? It most certainly will affect it…with gusto

I mean just that. Tire size has no effect on the speedometer reading. It is related to the RpM of the engine and transmission, no the tires.
If tires are low or you have undersized tires, the car will not be going as fast as the speedo reads, but the speedo will match up with the RPM of the engine.

Transmission: 6-speed manual
Final-drive ratio: 4.76:1
GEAR RATIO MPH PER
1000 RPM SPEED IN GEAR
I 3.27 4.8 34 mph (7000 rpm)
II 2.04 7.7 54 mph (7000 rpm)
III 1.43 11.0 77 mph (7000 rpm)
IV 1.07 14.6 102 mph (7000 rpm)
V 0.87 18.0 126 mph (7000 rpm)
VI 0. 22.9 134 mph (5900 rpm) In the chart here note that in 6th gear he should get 22,9 MPH per each 1000 RPM. thus 22.9 X 3 (3000) = 68.7 MPH. The OP said 65 probably roughly speaking, close enough. Now with the engine doing 3000 RPM, the speedo should read 68.7 in 6th gear even if the wheels were off the ground!! Follow mme?? If not maybe sommeone can explain it better.
I imagine you know this but just got confused!
I will wait for you to comment, I’m sure you will.