5 quarts of oil over-full for 1900 miles, no damage, and at one point had no oil pressure

No!

Do not run a motor flush in the engine.

This can plug the oil pump pick-up screen with sludge damaging the engine.

If there’s sludge plugging the rear drain-back holes in the heads, just clear the holes and leave it at that.

Tester

if the overfilling didn’t damage the engine, hell putting sand in it at this point cant be much worse.

but, ill think twice about doing it. Thanks guys!

If the engine was two quarts low and you added five it was three quarts overfilled, won’t necessarily damage a V8.

The oil change guy measured the amount of drain oil?

You shouldn’t have coolant leaking into the oil, Magnums don’t have that problem. The belly pan gasket on the bottom side of the intake plenum fails causing crankcase fumes from the camshaft valley to be pulled in through this vacuum leak. It is like having two extra PCV valves, it will consume oil and when severe foul spark plugs.

The 318 oil fill is in one of the valve covers…If 5 quarts of oil were already trapped there I don’t think you could fit another 5 quarts under a valve cover…So…How many miles on the truck and how often do you change the oil?? Do you ever add oil between changes?

@Nevada_545 YEs, I know that, that’s what ive had for a while, ( pulled an 18 wheeler, was redlined for about 15 minutes…)

@Caddyman" 159k and i have not needed to add any oil to it between changes. Though i am the second owner and i do not know the previous maintenance record of it, though I am religious with my oil changes. That is why i wanted to run some engine flush through it, but everyone is saying no, so they might be onto something.

( pulled an 18 wheeler, was redlined for about 15 minutes…)

Clarify this please @Dirkawsome. Did you pull a Semi truck out of a mud hole and red lined your engine for 15 minutes.

Yosemite

It was on a slightly snowy road, and it was in 4-LO. Put it on 2 on the column, and stepped on it.

( pulled an 18 wheeler, was redlined for about 15 minutes......)

Yeah, right. Was this 18 wheeler made by Tonka?

It was on a slightly snowy road, and it was in 4-LO. Put it on 2 on the column, and stepped on it.

Gear doesn’t matter redline is redline, no matter what gear you are in.

15 minutes operating at redline(?) could do some damage to an engine. What rpm is the redline? The heavy duty carbureted 318 was governed to 3,600 to 3,900 rpm years ago.