5 Common & Irritating Driving Mistakes

+1
I refer to the right lane as my private passing lane, due to it being almost devoid of cars, while the center lane is filled with cars driving at or below the speed limit. I pass them quickly, on the right, which is legal in my state and most other states. I usually only have to move out of the right lane if there is a slow driver there.

2 Likes

No. No it’s not. Maintaining a speed is about predictability.

But you apparently went on to talking about driving a 30-40mph road with cross streets. That is a more complicated story. But there’s still nothing wrong with changing lanes as needed, including to move past slower drivers.

5 Likes

How so?

I guess I’m considered “slow” as I keep it 32 in a 35, or 37 in a 40 on local streets. I consider it within the limit as defined in any LEO playbook, or in the dictionary.

I do far less of either: passing or braking.

Trust me, Chris, we all came to that conclusion many weeks ago.
:thinking:

8 Likes

If one is the slowest car on the road then only one lane is appropriate.

3 Likes

slow = rolling road block

4 Likes

Or, as an M.D. with whom I am friendly calls it, a “thrombus in the arterial flow”.

2 Likes

I know you hate hearing it, but a posted speed limit is not something you “must go faster than”, either for fear of retribution, or of whatever.

Similarly, although you undoubtedly don’t want to read it, we all got “the message” many weeks ago, and there is no need for you to keep beating this dead horse. Do you really think that you are going to convince scores of experienced (and safe) drivers to adopt your habits?

6 Likes

Yet you (and others) keep beating the dead horse of me driving “too slowly”.

So I guess we’re even.

We will stop as soon as YOU stop.

1 Like

Listen: This all started because one of you had to go and criticize my policy of keeping in the right lane when driving, vs the annoying habit of constantly changing lanes, weaving back and forth, on roads and limited access highways.

Saying it was “complicated” or whatever one of you said.

Good drivers keep right and pass on the left when necessary. They do not stay in the right lane no matter what, which is your recommendation.

1 Like

:point_up:
… as you keep reminding us.

1 Like

LOL. I was scrolling through thinking this has all been done before in other threads too

1 Like

Chris all you seem to talk about is air pressure and diving slow, but you don’t seem to be much help with real problems that new and older members (time, not age related) are having…

If you were making post about helping with members over heating, AC, rattle noises etc etc, etc problems, then it would not be so bad, but most of your post are about the same thing…

So when all you basically do is preach the same message time after time, people stop caring about what you are saying, and you become very annoying… All we want you to do is talk about other things…

3 Likes

Yup!
Ad infinitum, ad nauseam.

1 Like

You mis-read me.

I am able to keep right and pass less, regardless of the type of multi-lane road, by controlling my speed.

If I insist on doing 40 in a 35, right hand lane of a local road, or 65 in a 55 on a limited-access, I will find myself on my brakes for drivers ahead of me a whole lot more, or passing those drivers a lot more.

Driving at or slightly below the 35 locally, or slightly below 55 on the limited access highway, I find myself braking far less, and passing even less frequently.

My personal experiences. Not forcing them on anybody, just stating what works for me (and my brakes and steering suspension).

Because I consider studying how we drive, and things tire-related, my specialties.

You might know more than I do about other aspects of cars & driving. So we all bring different things to the discussion.

Perhaps I could have been more diplomatic about both tire pressures and speeds at which people drive, by using a cutesy made up word:

“Moreisbetterism”

More speed, higher tire pressures, etc.

Doing 35 in a 25, or 80 in a 65 zone.

Using truck tire pressures in the tires on a Civic, etc.

That Moreisbetterism is what I’m trying to raise awareness of here, but not singling anyone out for it.

Is there some fear of something underlying more-is-better? The fear of being perceived as inferior, or inadequate, because one is driving only the speed limit, and not 5-15mph above it?

The anxiety of a tire blowing if it is 1 to 2psi below the door frame recommendation, vs being inflated to 10psi over?

Have you convinced any forum members to adopt your philosophy?
Somehow, I doubt it, but I am asking other forum members to chime-in here if they have adopted your philosophy.
Anyone?

As I mentioned a few months ago, following one of your many “drive like me” rants, I used to live in a town that had a number of families of a religious denomination that believed in public preaching. Every Saturday morning, they would gather at a particular intersection in town, and one of their members would shout their beliefs to anyone who would listen.

The problem for those folks was that nobody wanted to listen, and they became the town’s laughing stock. Pedestrians avoided walking past them, and local drivers would motor past them while shaking their heads in disbelief.

2 Likes