5 Common & Irritating Driving Mistakes

Twice in 2 years since moving to Florida, drivers coming from the opposite direction in their right lane decide to flip a U-turn right in front of me. the second time the woman comes to a complete stop right in front of me. it was a good thing I was only going 30 mph and have really good brakes. 6 piston Brembo’s in the front and 4- pistons in the back.

1 Like

I haven’t (yet) experienced that, but at least a couple of times each week I encounter people on the other side of the road who suddenly veer around a parked utility truck or other vehicle on our narrow, shoulderless roads, and suddenly loom in my lane. Luckily, I have learned from experience that, when I see a parked vehicle on the other side of the road, I slow down and prepare to stop–instead of having a head-on with someone who doesn’t seem to know that there is oncoming traffic.

As Dave stated in a different thread, “Some people can’t drive for crap”.

2 Likes

Multiple turn-lanes: These illustrations speak for themselves…!

2 Likes

Uhm, that illustration represents what we hope drivers would get.

Mine, however, is sadly more in line with reality - especially with regards to multiple turn lanes in same direction.

1 Like

I am honestly surprised this hasn’t happened to you more often!

I have seen right turns from the left turn lane. Left turns from the right lane. U turns from any lane. And both of Chris’ sketches a couple times a week!

To Clueless’ point… We get drivers from many states and countries and they carry their learning, good and bad, with them when they visit.

2 Likes

The biggest driving mistake isn’t listed: Failure to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

That is the only realistic solution to the five mistakes listed in that article.

2 Likes

Am surprised I haven’t seen it mentioned yet: driving too slow in the left (passing) lane.
Then another numbskull gets into the lane next to the left one and goes the same speed. In minutes, traffic is backed up for miles and dangerous maneuvers are made to get around the obstruction.

4 Likes

+1
That extremely annoying and dangerous driving practice should have been listed.

1 Like

Fear. Afraid of not merging successfully. A reformed driving instructor once told me that he deliberately maneuvered to keep people from merging.

Everybody here is driving at least 10 mph over the speed limit. But my speed is monitored by a beacon and my insurance is docked for speeding.

1 Like

Then he should not be a driving instructor. That kind of thing, in order of severity, is: a) rude, b) stupid, c) dangerous.

7 Likes

When I was younger, and living in a state where “points” on your driving record was not a thing, I dealt with people like that by simply pretending that I couldn’t see them, and executing the merge regardless. Either they would get out of the way, or they’d feel the impact of my car hitting theirs. My father was very blunt about the fact that you should never let someone run you off the road, nor allow someone to make you crash into someone else. If someone is going to make you crash, be sure it’s with them, not someone else.

3 Likes

I had a very good friend (and his family) that traveled for music full time in rear engine motorhomes, he was way too nice and it would take him a mile to change lanes sometimes cause vehicles would not let him move over for an upcoming fork on the interstate… One day I was riding with him and noticed that he kept looking in the mirror and he said a car was right beside him, it would speed up and slow down with him (we were in the far right lane), so I told him to turn on his signal, when it hits the 3rd time, start slowly moving over into his lane… He was surprised at how fast the idiot driver slowed down to keep from going off in the ditch… Now he would not have ever keep moving over and endanger someone, again nice guy, but he didn’t have that same problem anymore…
A 38.5’ motorhome pulling a trailer right beside you will get your attention… lol

2 Likes

Some folks on four-wheels can sure be utter prix, and they’re the same exact same four wheelers who blame the10 to 18s when something goes wrong!

Constantly changing lanes, signaling or not. Pick a lane, particularly to the right, and stay there!

Well that’s a recipe for disaster. Pick a speed, not a lane. Stay right except to pass.

5 Likes

It is not that simple .

2 Likes

I have no problem managing.

I’m maintaining a steady 32-33mph, right lane Post Road through Norwalk, Fairfield CT, and I’m watching drivers to my left whizzing by, repeatedly having to swerve right to go around someone stopped for a left turn.

I end up ahead of them more often than not, because I KEEP EFFIN RIGHT and maintain momentum.

Occasionally I may have to move into the left lane, for a stopped bus or construction, but then, that is the exception.

So, what’s not so simple about keeping right, remind us I’m sure?

That’s Yankee-think. All about how fast.

I pick a lane first, particularly right hand, and then maintain a speed so I don’t have to pass often. Unlike in my 20s, I’m not in a race to get there.