4th gear pops out when pressing the accelerator more than 20%

So my Mitsubishi Galant 2.5 V6 from -00 have had a problem for a little while, the 4th gear pops out when pressing the accelerator more than about 20%, only the 4th gear, the rest are great. Car feels great in all other gears, clutch also feels good.
I can cruise in 4th gear but no more than than. All fluids have been checked.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Probably a worn synchronizer for forth gear.

Tester

1 Like

Your transmission may have an internal problem. The good things is when it is in the shop to remove the trans, they can check for broken shift linkage and the motor mounts. Hopefully it is one of those rather than the trans.

1 Like

1st is to get moving, 2nd is to accelerate, 3rd is to reach traffic speeds, and 5th is to cruise with traffic. Do you need 4th? If you have 5 speeds, 4th might be the best one to lose!

Sorry, but that sounds like some sort of internal manual transmission problem. Synchronizer or shift rail problem seems most likely. Ask the shop techs you use for car repair which is the best transmission shop in town; i.e. if they had a trans problem with their own manual trans car, where would they take it? Often everyone you ask will name the same shop. If so, go there and get an inspection & quote. May not be as expensive as you are thinking. Reports of 4th gear synchronizer problems seem pretty uncommon here, so this could just be a linkage problem between gear shift lever and trans case, but you’d have to be very lucky. Suggest to search prior forum posts, link upper right this page.

1 Like

https://www.cartalk.com/content/anns-subaru-pops-out-gear

Tester