4runner transmission slip from warm stop

My 2000 4Runner will start slipping just after acceleration from a stop only after having driven it for about 5 minutes. I really don’t think it’s anything major because I’ve always been nice to the transmission and don’t drive like a wild child.

How many miles has it gone, and auto or manual trans?

O sorry. I’m at 134,000 and its an auto sr5 w/ 4wd

Rear sprag, L/R (Low Reverse) clutch or the forward clutch is the source of the slipping. It sounds like there is probably some internal leakage going on. How often have you serviced your transmission?? How many miles on it??

transman

Mine is slightly newer, and is the newer body style. I wanted your style, but the wife insisted new was better than used…darnitall… :slight_smile:

Anyway…at that mileage, you really shouldn’t be having slipping issues, unless it’s not been maintained properly. Have you checked the fluid level?

I believe the manufacturer recommended mileage for fluid replacement is at 60K, so you should have done it twice now. Yes? No? That would be my first stop. Yes, you can do it yourself, however, it’s much easier to let either a dealer or a good transmision shop do it for you. They will back-flush it, and clean it out properly. Cost a bit more, yes, but much easier than ripping the pan off (I’m pretty sure that one isn’t a draining pan - it has to be removed).

I would start there. If it’s still slipping after new fluid, then you should debate having it really serviced. That could get expensive if it needs a rebuild.

I like the body style as well. Did you get the 4wd? I’ve found the 4wd in Toyota’s to be some of the best.
This is a fairly recent issue. I will check the fluid levels today. I’ve had the truck since 98k so I didn’t personally do the first trans service. Do you know what a good ballpark price would be for a complete transmission back flush and clean?
I’ve done enough transmission work before to know that I’d much rather leave it to the professionals. haha.

I believe the manufacturer recommended mileage for fluid replacement is at 60K

Automatics need to be serviced every 25-30k miles regardless of what owners manual says. This INCLUDES dropping the pan and changing the filter.

They will back-flush it, and clean it out properly.

You never back flush or attempt to back flush an automatic transmission. You must be referring to a fluid exchange.

Cost a bit more, yes, but much easier than ripping the pan off (I’m pretty sure that one isn’t a draining pan - it has to be removed).

The pan ALWAYS has to be removed because the filter has to be changed during servicing. If you are flushing an automatic transmission and you are not first dropping the pan and changing the filter you ARE NOT properly servicing your transmission.

transman

OK, fine…http://www.amsoil.com/faqs/ATF_and_Filter_Change_Procedures.pdf

That’s from amsoil, and it’s (of course) generic in nature.

Toyota’s use a wire mesh filter. You can change it (about $30, with a rubber gasket, so no RTV required), or just clean it. I would still worry about why it’s slipping. That’s unusual for a Toyota with mileage that low. Seems to me that something else is going on.

Toyota’s use a wire mesh filter

Not necessarily, that will depend on who serviced it last and what they replaced it with. “Wire mesh” filters never completely clean out anyway that is why its ALWAYS advisable to replace them at every service. They are cheap enough. Most aftermarkets are not “wire mesh”. All the more reason to ALWAYS drop the pan, clean it real good and change the filter. I never wash filters, filters are cheap. Just one small piece of trash getting into the valve body is all it takes and the transmission is gone.

I would still worry about why it’s slipping.

Like I said, there are 3 different components, which one or more could be the source of the slipping as the op has described. The forward clutch, the L/R clutch, or the rear sprag assy.

That’s unusual for a Toyota with mileage that low.

Not unusual at all, remember we are talking about a 12 year old vehicle. Age has a lot to do with it. You have a 12 year old transmission slipping when warm. CLASSIC symptoms of worn or hardened clutch piston seals. I commonly see older transmissions with fewer miles needing overhaul due to hardened clutch piston seals. Toyota is no different than the others.

transman

Transman, you may also want to prepare to be put out of work, if you only service transmissions…albeit for a while, but it’s coming.

Cars are starting to be delivered without a replaceable transmission filter, and, guess what…they back-flush them to clean them out.

Try it yourself. Find and replace a transmission filter on a 2008 F150, with the 4.6. There isn’t one that you can get at. They want the thing back-flushed (per the dealer) every 30K, but there’s no filter available, and the dealer doesn’t sell one.

If you can do it, please let me know how. I’d love to do mine - without a strip down.

Transman, you may also want to prepare to be put out of work, if you only service transmissions…albeit for a while, but it’s coming.

I rebuild automatics, been doing this coming up on 28 years. I am an owner operator. My benches are full all the time and I have been running at least 3-4 days behind for the past 7 years. I certainly wont be out of work, not in this lifetime anyway. Not even the quickie lubes will be run out of business. Automatics still need servicing.

Cars are starting to be delivered without a replaceable transmission filter.

STARTING???  Where have you been?  Honda, to name one has been doing this since they introduced the 3 shaft automatic.  There is no pan, the transmission is a 3 piece case, it HAS a filter but it is not serviceable unless you remove and disassemble the trans.

.they back-flush them to clean them out.

Back flush???  That would be a feat.  You dont "Back flush" an automatic transmission, there are way too many check valves etc that would prevent anyone from forcing fluid backwards through the trans.  I think you are talking about a "Fluid exchange"

Try it yourself. Find and replace a transmission filter on a 2008 F150, with the 4.6.

Here it is.  The filter below is for a F-150 with the 4R70/75E transmission. Drop the pan and this is what you will see.   Is this your transmission??.

transman

I’ve been NOT working on transmissions. :slight_smile: Honestly, it’s my friends truck, but that was the information he was given, and I trust that he relay’s exactly what they say. Which really has nothing to do with it.

We’ve been over the “back flush” issue already. You must be getting forgetful.

I can’t say that it’s that one or not, as I haven’t dropped the pan. I’d like very much to help him take care of this truck. in future, I’ll ask just about anyone else, though. Thanks.