4 cylinder cars

I have a 4 cylinder 2004 chrsytler sebring. I notice my check engine light came on when I was driving. When I got home I checked out my engine. I noticed that my 3 cylinder wasn’t firing at all but my car still works. Can you tell me what is wrong with that and why is my car still running?

Need a LOT more information.

Is the plug NOT firing??

Is this a distributorless system??

What have to done to determine what the cause is?

Is there compression in the #3 cylinder?

Is it getting gas??

A car can still run with one cylinder not firing. Loose another cylinder and it probably won’t run.

My suggestion is to check the spark plugs and wires. If they have 50,000 miles or more then replace them.

Take your car to a mechanic and have them read the codes stored in the car’s computer. This will tell you what is going on with the car.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

A car can run on three cylinders. Actually it can run on two. I know as I disabled two cylinders on my Brother’s VW at his wedding. I had to chase him down, that little car was running well enough that he did not notice until he was trying to get on the freeway.

A car can run on three cylinders. Actually it can run on two.

On a 4 cylinder car if you can’t tell that one of the cylinders isn’t firing…you have a problem. It should be very very very very obvious. An 8 cylinder…not so obvious…but noticeable.

I would have thought there would have been a lot more difference than there was. This was a flat opposed four cylinder in a Karman Gia. It did not have much power to begin with and it was opposing cylinders every other firing order. He did notice it running a little rough but did not miss the power until he was on the freeway ramp. I was shocked. That old trick normally would cause a car to stall when they tried to pull away, but not those VW’s.