4.10 gears overall installation cost?

Is that 4,10 gear kit for the specific differential installed on your Mustang? Usually V6 cars have lighter duty rear ends than the ones installed on the V8 models. A\lso, your gas mileage will suffer and the car will be miserable to drive on a trip.

1 Like

With modern over-drive there won’t be much difference in fuel economy or engine noise.

1 Like

honestly didn’t even know that was possible, il research it.
Only thing is, i believe my mustang has 3.55’s so i don’t know if changing to 3.73’s would make enough of a difference to make it worth it. But that definitely is an interesting take on this!
thank you

it should fit the differential installed on my Mustang, it says the product fits my car so i guess thats fine.
obviously pretty much every performance mod decreases gas mileage so that was expected and i’m fine with that, and as for long trips, i don’t see why it would be so bad. maybe more noise from higher revs but i don’t mind

Your V6 Mustang has a smaller axle than the V8s… a 7.5 inch ring gear, I think. The V8s 2005 to 2014 have 8.8 rearends.

1 Like

Currently, I’m happy with just bolt-ons and a tune. I was thinking about supercharging this one as well, but before I commit the many thousands of dollars that would require, I want to see what the upcoming S650 has to offer.

1 Like

What are they doing now? Adopting Benz nomenclature for the models?

1 Like

These days with everything having overdrive, and computer controls, Changing the rear end gears out doesn’t make a huge difference overall. In the OP’s case, going from a 3.31 to 4.10 would likely result in a slight improvement in fuel economy in local driving, and a slight decrease in purely highway driving. Overall fuel economy will be about the same, maybe a very slight ( ~0.5-0.75) MPG decrease if they do more highway driving than around town stuff. But it’s not nearly as big a difference as it was back in the 60’s-70’s.

1 Like

No, it’s just the platform names for various generations of Mustang

79-93 = Fox
94-98 = SN 95 ( glorified Fox)
99-04 = New Edge ( still a glorified Fox)
05-14= S197
15-23 = S550
2024+ = S650 ( More of an evolution of the S550, supposedly).

2 Likes

I bet I would notice very little difference with the ratio change. Higher rpm’s on the freeway, very slightly better acceleration. Not worth all the time and money to me.

2 Likes

+1
But, let’s not forget about people’s misperceptions of a vehicle’s power. If someone installs a louder muffler, in many cases he/she convinces themselves that the engine is more powerful… even if it is not.

Vroom, Vroom!

2 Likes

I have changed gear ratios in at least 4 different vehicles and was not disappointed in the results. The smallest change was going from 3.21 to 3.55 in a truck, great improvement when entering the highway.

2 Likes

Edit: I swapped in 4.10s for the factory 3.08s in a 165 hp 1/2 ton Suburban. Made a huge improvement in acceleration and towing capability.

1 Like

i don’t know some people on youtube and online say that it rlly brings the car to life and gives it more of a kick, i get its not a massive difference but it seems like a fairly sensible and a not too risky mod to do. So seems fine by me. time wise, its a mod that wouldn’t take much time, 5hour at mechanics and then a tune then done. Money wise i get it its a little pricey but its do able.

yeh most people that i have seen that have done this mod online/youtube have been very satisfied by it so apart from the 1k price tag i see mostly positives.

Do you think the ones who spent the money for this and were disappointed are going to make a You Tube video ? Not likely.

3 Likes

how would that work? how would swapping for a lower gear ratio improve acceleration and torque, i thought it was the opposite? unless that doesnt apply for larger vehicles?

You read my post backwards or maybe I wrote it backwards… I had 3.08s, I installed 4.10s for better acceleration. Maybe I’ll reword that.

1 Like

That’s a very valid point. it just seems hard to believe that some would be disappointed from this mod. I’ve seen this mod labelled ‘best mod/ best bang for buck’ for this specific car (mustang v6) on many platforms, forums and on youtube. I personally don’t think i would be disappointed: its a fairly simple mod that doesn’t require too much time which won’t put too much stress on my engine. Its literally one of the only performance mod that i could do which might make a difference and not blow my engine.

Ahh okay, yes that makes more sense. So yeh that sounds promising