So let me preface this by saying I know absolutely nothing about cars. Any help I could get from you car masters would be super appreciative!! My father was a car mechanic his whole life and if I ever had an issue he would just fix it. Now I don’t have the luxury of his advise and could really use some help.
I’m moving from Florida to Oregon and taking my car, which is a Mazda 6 (4cyl). I have never taken this car further than 5 miles at a time! Before I got laid off I had a company car that I would drive, and so I only used my Mazda to get to work 1 mile away. I haven’t even done one maintenance to it since I bought it 2 years ago. Which is probably real bad right? When I bought it, it had 43000 miles on it. Now it has 45000. It was in excellent condition when I bought it and still seems to be.
What kind of maintenance should I get done to the vehicle before my trip? As I mentioned I got laid off recently and I am trying to make this trip as cheap as possible so I can actually afford a place to live when I get to Oregon (I hope). If I breakdown along the way I might have to stay there Should I just get the oil changed or flush all the fluids? Is doing the planned 45k maintenance enough for travel?
Also should I buy any spare parts or oil or anything for such a long trip? What kind of supplies would you bring with you for 3000 mile trip?
Here’s some extra dumb questions I’m almost to embarrassed to ask:
- Is it safe to drive my car 18-20 hours straight so I could get there in 2.5 days or would this stress it/overheat it?
- Is going from hot weather to cold weather going to mess with the internals of the car? It sits in the hot florida sun a lot.
- Am I so hopelessly dumb that I should sell the car and get a plane ticket instead?
- Is the dream of the 90’s really alive in portland?
- Is it better to keep the tank over half full on a road trip like this at all times? Stopping every 175-200 miles instead of 325-350 miles? I think my car gets 432 miles per tank.
- What type of oil should I put in my car? Is there anything special for a long trip I should use instead? Should I oil change half way through the trip? Yes I am this dumb
Any help would be appreciated, thank you gentleman and ladies!