3100 Mile Roadtrip and I am an idiot!

I honestly don’t think the OP will have a lot of problems considering this is a 2008 model car with only 40 something thousand miles on it. Change the oil, check the tires (including spare) and fluids along with checking any accessory belts, and it should be fine. The main thing is to monitor the temperature gauge now and then and check the oil level every other tank of gas.

OP, if it will make you feel any better the 1500 mile trip that I made by driving straight through was done in a car that I paid a measly 10 dollars for; and that’s not a typo. Tagged, clear title, and ready to go. The only problem suffered during the entire trip was a flat tire.

Have the oil changed, tire pressure checked, coolant checked and drive it however you please.

Folks are recommending good stuff if you were making money. However none is required for this trip or the short term.

Don’t fret. I drove a $500 Subaru with owners word it was reliable cross country and back and made it fine. This was before cell phones were inexpensive.

Tuffy’s Auto Service is a national chain located in 15 states. A quick search shows lots of consumer complaints (the kind that is typical of national auto chains). That doesn’t mean they are all bad, but be very very careful if you do use them.

As others have noted, I strongly suggest you find a good local independent repair shop to handle the recommended repairs.

I 2nd the recommendation to not drive 18 hours/day, but to instead enjoy the country. I’ve driven it many times, and each time, I wish I could visit more places.

watch for fatige over the road truck drivers can only drive 11 hours after 10 hours off duty. plan your trip before you leave knowing where all the rest areas are and fuel stops. i stop about every 2 to 3 hours for a bathroom break and walk around its a big help.

Yes, just use common sense and you will be fine. Your car is not old and unlikely to have any problems. Try not to over think it either, as you are basically going to worry about things that will never happen. Be safe and deal with the surprises as they arise. That’s what life is about isn’t it?

$10 ?. You got taken to the cleaners !

I agree that in all likelyhood after a very few maintenance items are done prior to the trip, the OP and his car will make it with no car trouble. It is important, however, to bring along a few items such as a spare oil filter, a couple of quarts of oil, a cell phone, a GPS, a credit card and a laptop if available. Doing something rather than nothing such as these simple things will help to make the trip more enjoyable and a little less worrysome.

I still go along with my earlier recommendations, but if the money is really tight, then do the oil change a week before the trip, just in case Tuffy’s makes a mistake. This vehicle probably doesn’t burn oil, so one extra quart should be enough. If you have the atlas from Walmart, then you can quickly find cheap oil along the way if you need it, just be sure you know how to check the oil and do it frequently along the way.

Absolutely check the tire pressure just before you leave and do have it at least 3 psi above the factory recommendations. In fact, i always set mine at 35 psi for a road trip regardless of the factory recommendation. Its just a lot easier on the tires, but it could be slightly rougher on you, it won’t ride quite as smooth, but the safety factor is important to me.

All the other recommended maintenances are just due at this point so they can be put off for a little while. Unless you already have a GPS, I would not get one, they can get you lost, very lost. A good map or atlas is far superior and cheaper.

One gallon of emergency distilled water. I say distilled because then you can use it for anything. This is in addition to the normal drinking water that you would carry for your normal consumption. Since it is winter, or near winter, I second the recommendation for a sleeping bag, it can save your life. I don’t know why I didn’t recommend that in the first place as one saved my life once. I got a broken timing belt during an ice storm and the sleeping bag kept me from freezing until someone came along and rescued me.

Stay to the south this time of year, take at least 4-5 days and see some sights. If you sleep in the car at the “Wally World PV Parks”, it won’t cost you any more than the 2.5 day marathon you are planning.

I think these are all very good suggestions. One that someone suggested was to take time to enjoy the country you will be passing through. Yes, you will be passing through some of the prettiest country in the U.S. Take time to enjoy this and maybe stay in campground some of the time. Definitely don’t plan on a diagonal trek across the U.S. in 2.5 days!

Also, the suggestion about the weather is a good one. You have good odds of running into closed roads due to snowed in mountain passes, etc. in the western U.S. at higher elevations. Check weather and road conditions using a laptop along the way. Many state DOTs have online websites with maps of road conditions and closure status due to weather. Be aware of weather several days in advance. For those not used to the rapid elevation changes out west, the weather can also change rapidly. You might be in rain on one side of a mountain and snow ice just a few minutes later.

Also, I think someone might have mentioned this, but you may go 100 miles or more without seeing a gas station and that is on an Interstate! If you see a sign that says “No Services For X Miles”, make sure you have enough gas and supplies to make it that far, otherwise exit and get gas and supplies.

If you are worried about the cost of extra oil and spare parts, buy them from a national chain and simply return them unopened when you get to your destination.

Conor

Well said @cwatkin. I suspect though that our friend PJ is already somewhere in Colorado dazzled by the Rockies, or maybe in Utah loving the red rock country. I really hope so, that area is too good to rush past without stopping.

Yeah, those are some very beautiful locations. The Rocky Mountains and Colorado Plateau are world class wonders so there is no point in zooming by at maximum speed. Parts of these areas are as desolate and isolated as they are beautiful so be prepared!

Conor

A 4 year old car with only 43K miles all I’d suggest is bringing the maintenance up to date, throwing a couple quarts of extra oil in the trunk, checking the oil every 300-400 miles and checking the condition of belts, hoses, brakes and tires and replace as necessary before the trip begins. I moved from NC-KY in 2010 and had several cars that had to be moved. One of them at the time had about 510-515K miles on it. I could have towed it behind the moving van, but instead I decided to go back to NC at a later date, pick it up and drive it on the 500 mile trip and had no problems.

If you have a cell phone take it with you, if you do not, then buy a prepaid one for emergencies. Oh and do not forget a car charger for the phone.

First, you are not an idiot. Asking questions is how you learn. Keep it up.

That said, you have already been given a lot of good advice. Get the oil changed, get the belts and hoses checked, and head west, then north. Fear not. Your car is newer, and probably in better shape, than 90% of them on the road.

In the winter of 1982 I drove a 22 year old T-Bird 1300 miles home, partly through the rockies. It snowed. It iced. It was -15ºF one moring in Rawlins Wyoming. I made it home with absolutely no trouble. You will be fine. I sold that car a year later to a guy who lived 700 miles north of here. He had no problems either.

Yes the '90s are alive and well in Portland. Haven’t you seen Portlandia?

Might also throw in a new set of wiper blades–where you’re going it does rain quite a bit. I’d also add that when you get to your destination, you’re probably going to be using your car a lot more than you have in the last 2 years. You probably got away with doing no maintenance due to the very little miles you put on the car. But if you’re going to be driving it a lot more, this isn’t going to cut it. You need to learn to check your oil, and even if you only end up driving a few thousand miles a year, you need to make sure you get it changed, at least once a year, more if you drive more than a few thousand. I’d suggest synthetic oil, as I think this will better cope with less frequent oil changes. Look to your owner’s manual for what maintenance needs to be done and when. Cars can be a burden, but they sure beat public transport IMHO.

Also, if you’re going to drive a lot more, you have to be attentive to what your car is telling you: Has the temp gauge always gone that high? Are my check engine light or other warning lights on? Does my brake pedal seem lower than it did? Did I always have that vibration at 60? Not that you’re going to have a lot of problems with your car, but the more aware of the vehicle and its behavior you are, the better driver you will be and the longer your car will last.

In 1964, I came back to the Midwest to put a rebuilt engine and transmission in my 1953 Chevrolet. After Christmas, I took off and drove 50 hours, 2050 miles to Fort Lewis. As I crossed the mountain they shut the highways behind me due to blizzard. I was 22 years old.

Last two weeks I drove 1450 miles to Florida and 1450 miles back, took 3 days each way, I am 70 now which makes the difference. I drink diet pop with caffeine in it to stay awake, and also chew gum, which helps as strange as it sounds. My car is a 2002 Sienna with around 190,000 miles, and never missed a beat.