$300 for an extra key

I agree about the convenience factor but $300 for that bit of hardware is almost as much of a stroke job as FLASH memory for computers…

ALL vehicles come with two keys…period.
Go back to the dealer and MAKE them get you a second one !!!
It’s something they know they should have done in the first place before putting it on the lot and written into the cost of prepping the used car. THEY screwed up and are trying to get you to pay…no way ! ( how many dozens of other customers have been treated this way ? A common used car lot gouge )

----it’s not and EXTRA key untill it’s key #3 or 4 that you buy if you want.

ALL vehicles come with two keys.
tell them you know this for a fact. if they didn’t get it right pre-sale, it’s up to them to eat the cost.

– period –

I got two keys for my 2011 Chevy. It’s the type that comes with a thick fob and the spring loaded key folds up into it like a buck knife. I like it, it doesn’t poke holes in my pockets anymore. I never was one of the 'he man" types who needed a giant wad of keys to make me feel masculine.

The dealer DID tell me to try to not lose it. “They’re NOT cheap to replace!” he warned me.

Compared to my 2001 Buick, it has three times the range.

“ALL vehicles come with two keys.
tell them you know this for a fact. if they didn’t get it right pre-sale, it’s up to them to eat the cost.”

Ahh, come on, it’s a used car sale. Sold as-is unless there is factory warranty remaining. And factory warranty won’t cover lost keys.

All cars with A/C come from the factory with a fully charged A/C system, that doesn’t mean that the dealer is required to fix the A/C system when selling a used car. You buy it that way, it’s your problem.

Anyway, the dealer found the key and gave it to the customer. All’s well.

I put a club on my steering wheel. They are not going to drive it away.

Ah, the joys of modernity!

“I put a club on my steering wheel. They are not going to drive it away.”

You are kidding, right? All they do is cut a section of the steering wheel out. Its the weakest link.