3 Final candidates--which should I choose?

I have three vehicles I’m looking at that are pretty similar in price, would appreciate feedback on which I should choose:

1. 2007 Toyota Camry LE V6 with Leather, 80k, +$750
  2. 2005 Lexus ES 330 fully loaded, 96k
  3. 2007 Nissan Maxima SE, 80k, -$1250

All have clean carfax records and I enjoyed driving each but the Maxima definitely had the most spirit.

Appreciate any and all opinions!

First…forget about what Carfax says. Their data is so incomplete it can’t be trusted.

All three vehicles are about the same. For only $750 more I’d consider the Camry. The V6 is the newer 3.5L V6. Great engine.

But the deciding factor is going to be how well they all were maintained. Look at the maintenance records. And have the vehicle you choose thoroughly inspected.

Drive each for one hour, then pick the one that you feel is the most comfortable. Barring any hidden damage or bad maintenance, they are all good choices.

I’d look for a Camry with a 4 cylinder. The Camry doesn’t need a V6, it’s a waste of money and MPG.

I would look at the Camry…it doesn’t need a v6 I agree as I have always favored med to low power in fwd. But then, your girl friend doesn’t have to be too pretty either.

First...forget about what Carfax says. Their data is so incomplete it can't be trusted.

No it can’t, but it should still be used. A clean carfax is meaningless, but a carfax with problems on it is valuable. It’s saved me from a hidden salvage title a couple of times.

OP, you seem to like the Maxima best. Why not take that one? (assuming you bring it by an independent shop and get a pre-purchase inspection that comes back good).

does the max have a cvt trans in it i don’t know how much i would trust it.

21/31 vs 19/28, not much of a difference to really matter in the Camry; you could make up the difference with careful driving habits. The V6 would be smoother, too.

Take all to a mechanic and have them give it a once over. If the Maxima is in good shape, get it

does the max have a cvt trans in it i don't know how much i would trust it.

This is what concerns me more than anything. I know Hondas/Acura’s/Toyota’s but know absolutely nothing about Nissan (other than an old 280ZX my father owned a millenium ago). I really enjoyed the ride in the Nissan but the CVT does scare me…I’ve owned Hondas that have lasted 200k easily and know plent that have Toyota’s with 175k plus. Last thing I want is to hit 90k and have to replace the CVT or something for 4k.

I definitely want a V6. I drive pretty cautiously but I really like having some horsepower when the rare occasion calls for it. MPG isn’t a huge factor as my commute is like all of 4 miles and about
to become 1/3 of that.

A 2009 Mazda 6 with 40k has come into the picture as well. Too many options!!! :smiley:

Thanks again for the responses!

The 6 is a nice vehicle, you might look at a Ford Fusion as well, they’re very similar vehicles(Ford partnered with Mazda for several years). I’m partial to Mazda, myself, and I know atleast one person on this board does own a 6

For what it’s worth, when I was in high school (pre-1990) my best friend drove us around in his father’s Maxima. We loved that car. It was comfy, had some chutzpah, and seated 4 with no problem. Since the Maxima line still exists, I’m inferring that it’s gotten only better. (This was in upstate NY, so keep in mind that the handling in the snow was just what a teenage boy wanted in a rear-wheel drive car.)
There was a great little idiosyncrasy: When my friend shifted from park into drive, the back end lowered maybe an inch or two - as if to say “I’m ready for takeoff”. Loved it. It spite of it being brown. I don’t recall them having any mechanical problem with it.
The Camry’s decent - I’ve had one of those: perfectly usable and durable, just kinda lacking in character.

Best of luck!

• K

“This was in upstate NY, so keep in mind that the handling in the snow was just what a teenage boy wanted in a rear-wheel drive car.”

Huh?
The Maxima is a FWD car, just like the other two that the OP is considering.

A clean carfax is meaningless, but a carfax with problems on it is valuable.

I agree with that…but that’s NOT what the OP was saying. They said it had a clean report…which prompted me to say that Carfax can NOT be trusted.