$2800 sensor repairs?

My 2000 Toyota 4Runner has 142,000 miles on it, and when my check engine light went on the recommended repair costs $2800.

Car runs great, but do I really need to replace the cats & airflow sensors, and maybe even the 02 sensor? Will the car pass inspection later this year?

Get a second opinion.

If you have emmissions testing and your check engine light is on you will never pass inspection.

I would suggest trying an independent shop. $2800 smells like the dealer. Cats are VERY expensive from the dealer sometimes 2-4 times.

Passing inspection depends on the state where you get inspected. Most states will not pass a car with the check engine light on. Some state inspections even hook up to the diagnostic system to see if you have error “codes” stored in the car’s computer. In those states you will fail.

If your state puts a probe in the tailpipe to measure the emissions you might pass.

Its almost like a car owner needs “catastrophic emmissions equipment failure insurance” No car owner should be forced into bankruptcy due to a catastrophic emissions system failure,espically when that system was mandated by the government.

Everyday we see more and more multi-thousand dollar repairs needed to remain emission compliant. And we are seeing a decline in the skills needed to diagnosis and repair these systems.

If you go to a dealer, they will attempt to repair to a “like-new condition”. Is an 8 year truck worth that?
Go to an independent shop for a repair to “serviceable condition”. It will be kinder to your wallet.

They are replacing all parts instead of testing to find witch part is bad.
Do not go back there untill you find good repair person who can test and find wire,connector or part that is throwing check light.
Then go back and give first shop and give them hell for trying to gouge you.

If you go to autozone or Napa Auto Parts or similar store they can get you the actual trouble codes from your car, and give you prices on the parts, then decide if it’s worth it to pay for the labor to replace those parts, just a thought. Either way, you need some sort of second opinion.
Best of luck…

If you could have the codes read and post them here, it would be a big help. Many auto parts stores will do this for free.

I seriously doubt you need to spend this kind of money to fix the problem. It sounds like whoever did the diagnosis (a dealer, perchance?) wants to throw a whole collection of parts at the problem instead of actually testing.

No way will you pass inspection with a lit CEL.