2023 Cadillac XT4 - Transmission issue

Transmission problem in my 2023 XT4 with only 800 miles on it the front wheels locked pulling out of my driveway. King Orourke Cadillac is my dealer. They towed it to the shop and have advised me they are putting in a new transmission. Thank God I wasn’t pulling on to Hwy. Don’t know if I should start Lemon Law process. There was no XT4 choice for model so i put in XT5 otherwise it would not send.

1 Like

Lemon laws vary from state to state. If the new transmission fixes the problem, I doubt any lemon law would apply.
But do keep the service report and all subsequent service reports.

1 Like

As car designs become more complex, have to expect there are going to be more failure modes. I think this sort of thing, as long as manufacturer/dealer honors the wording of their new-car warranty, car buyers just have to live with.

I expect the replacement transmission will solve the problem with the only inconvenience being you don’t have a new car to drive for awhile. Is there a time estimate when the new transmission will be installed? If no estimate, ask for one. To avoid ambiguities, suggest to keep an accurate record, each item date and time stamped, of all communications between you and dealership on this matter. Everything must be in writing. If you receive an oral communication from dealership or manufacturer, write what it says, print 2 copies, one for your file, and snail mail the other copy to the dealership asking if you understand what they said correctly.

Best of luck.

I am guessing on a new Cadillac you will get a free loaner car. It might not be as nice but that is mileage you are putting on a car that isn’t yours.

This happened to a daughter of a friend of mine. She bought a new car and the engine blew up within the first week. The dealer put a new engine in the car under warranty but this left her soured and she didn’t want the car. They bought the car back from her at full price. This worked out better for the dealer as well. The state she was in doesn’t let a dealer sell NEW cars for more than MSRP. The state law doesn’t have any requirements on the price of USED cars though. The car had been titled in her name and was now considered to be a used car although it was basically new. The dealer could mark the thing up and sell it for more than new at this point.

If you really don’t want this car now, you might look into something like this.

1 Like

+1
The Lemon Law (in every state with which I am familiar) is for car owners whose vehicle still hasn’t been fixed after three attempts. In the OP’s case, as unfortunate as this transmission issue is with a brand new car, it appears that it is being fixed on the first try.

There may well be other issues arising in the future to which the Lemon Law could be applied, but this transmission problem isn’t eligible for that type of settlement–to the best of my knowledge. But, if the OP researches the exact details of that statute in his state, and if he can prove me wrong, I am prepared to admit my error.

Starting the lemon law process at this point means obtaining and saving all receipts from work done on your XT4. Check online for the requirements to return your SUV in your state. Follow all requirements. Hopefully replacing the transmission on the XT4 will be the end of it. We had a transmission replaced under warranty at 58,000 miles on a GM car about 20 years ago and that was the only problem we had with it.

Hi, I had the same problem this weekend, my 2023 XT4 with only 200 miles on it. It is not even a month old. The front wheels locked. How long did it take to replace the transmission? I got stuck in a parking lot, I was backing up and switched to drive and it got stuck in park. And how is it now? Do you feel safe?

I had the same problem with Xt4 transmission. I feel the same as your friend’s daughter, soured and don’t want the car. Tho it ceased up in less than a month and not a week. What state did she live in?

I wonder what the dealership does with the removed but almost new transmission?

The dealers will replace the transmission at no cost to you after verifying it wasn’t abused. Make sure that they give you a loaner while your XT4 is repaired. The transmission on our 2003 Oldsmobile failed under warranty. The transmission was replaced at no cost to us and we never had a problem during the remaining ten years we owned it.

She was in Hawaii.