2021 Toyota Avalon Hybrid - Scalloped tires

Scalloped tires - cause

A simple Google search lists suspension problems , out of balance tires , tires that need replaced or possibly a bent rim . What year is this Avalon and how many miles ? I doubt a 2021 has these problems. Any good tire shop can probably answer this for you and also tell you if the tires need replaced .

1 Like

We are waiting, what are they :question:

Scalloped potatoes - delicious

2 Likes

Can be caused when tire is pointing in a slightly different direction than the vehicle is moving, scuffs tread. Checking the toe alignment is where to start. Suspension system problems could also contribute, so good idea to have shop looks for that as part of the process. .

1 Like

I needed an alignment - the second in less than 20,000 miles. They blamed it on my driving, although this is my second Avalon which I drive no differently than my first.They did not say they checked the shocks. They want me to get 2 new tires, but without knowing exactly what happened, I’m afraid new tires would have the same problem.

Thanks for your suggestions George.

1 Like

Usually part of the wheel alignment process includes at least a cursory inspection of the suspension system. It’s not possible to align wobbly wheels, like would occur if there’s too much play in suspension system parts. Given your Avalon is nearly new, and recently aligned, probably reasonable to rule-out shocks or other suspension components at this point. Are the current tires causing any symptoms? If not, maybe just continue using them and keep checking for unusual tread patterns. Problem could well be solved w/recent wheel alignment in other words.

For more ideas here, suggest to post a photo of the summary sheet the shop likely provided on the results of the wheel alignment.

1 Like

You still have not answered the question is this a 2021 ? If it is then if there is a suspension problem that is covered by warranty . Tires and alighment are not .

2 Likes

It is likely that the alignment specs for this Avalon are not compatible with your driving style. A good alignment specialty shop could work out a better setting still within factory specs.

Another possibility is the tires also don’t fit your driving and/or your alignment. A different brand or model may better suit. Try a better alignment first.

1 Like

What kind of driving could they ( who ever they is ) be talking about ?

Hi @Tim11
Interesting problem, especially on a fairly new vehicle.

Can you post pictures of the tires, specifically the tire tread where the cupping is supposedly happening.

Also, what type of shop is doing your alignments and telling you that you need new tires? Is it the Toyota dealership, or a tire chain store, or …?

Thanks.

Another thought:

Were the tires rotated? Not doing so can result in irregular tire wear. Tires don’t like staying in the same position for that long - even if the alignment is “in spec”… The spec is quite wide!

3 Likes

The tires have been rotated. Can’t get a pic of the scalloping as its on the inside. They are Toyota tires that came with the car. The previous Avalon I had had the same tires and they lasted for over 50,000 miles. It was A Toyota dealer I went to, I’m still under warranty. I’m beginning to think it’s some other part (shocks?) that are causing the issue.

Tim Ohlinger

I don’t think there is such a thing as Toyota tires as Toyota does not make tires . Could they be Toyo tires ? What does the statement about your driving habits mean ?

Being a Hybrid the tires are probably not the same as your previous Avalon . They might be LRR ( Low Rolling Resistance ) made for better MPG not long wear .

Toyota does not manufacture or market tires.
They might be Yokohama, or Bridgestone, or Sumitomo, or Toyo, or Falken (or maybe even Michelin, Goodyear, or Hankook) brand tires, but they are definitely not Toyota tires.

The OEM tires on most cars are selected by the vehicle manufacturer for their low price, or their low rolling resistance, or their low price, or their good ride quality, or their low price, but OEM tires are rarely known for good treadwear, simply because that aspect is not important to the vehicle manufacturer.

1 Like

It might be worthwhile to find an alignment shop with a good reputation and have them check it out. Keep any paperwork/receipts in case you decide to ask Toyota or the local dealer for compensation.

My 1999 Honda needed a couple alignments by the dealer before it got squared away. Now over 200,000 miles, the tire wear has been quite uniform.

1 Like

Good idea… I have a shop that I’ve been going to for over 45 years.

Tim Ohlinger

Took my car to a local shop that I have used for more than 45 years and whom I trust. All 4 wheels were out of balance. I don’t think the dealership even checked that. We’ll see how it goes. Thanks for everyone’s suggestions and help.

Tim Ohlinger

2 Likes

During my daily walk-a-bouts I find wheel weights laying in the gutter on a routine basis. Just not a good attachment method. I’d guess the majority of cars have at least one wheel weight that has fallen off.

The adhesive used on Toyota wheel weights take a lot of effort to remove, the weights don’t fall off.

After balancing, the tires are no longer scalloped? Shouldn’t the tires be replaced?