2020 Toyota RAV4 -plastic smell

I purchased a low-mileage used RAV4 TRD in June. The past couple of weeks, the interior has had a very strong “plastic” smell (not burning plastic, just plastic.) It gets so strong I have to open the windows to drive. It has been very hot here recently so I’m wondering if the heat has anything to do with it? I’m taking it back to the dealership to have them check it but was wondering if anyone else has had this. Thanks.

If you had a brand-new vehicle, I would say it might be from off gassing from the plastics in your vehicle or some coatings burning off in the engine compartment or stickers burning off your exhaust system. but that should be over with by now.
so, the only other thing i can think of is a plastic bag that you might of ran over got stuck to your exhaust and is melting causing the smell.

2 Likes

No, I haven’t had that problem. But suggest to take a good whiff in the area of the carpeting directly above the catalytic converter. If the odor is more noticeable there than elsewhere, an exhaust system heat shield may have fallen off and is now heating the underside of the floor pan, and the heat is degrading the carpeting material.

1 Like

Nearly all cars outgas from the plastics used in the interior. More when it is hot. Even on cars much older than yours. Sorry, but that is normal.

3 Likes

Off-gassing of the materials used in a vehicles interior can last for years.

Tester

1 Like

It’s likely outgassing from the plastics. You can minimize it by using window screens to reflect sunlight away from the interior. They are typically available for the windshield and side windows. It is usually worst if you park facing south, exposing the dashboard to the sun.

The “new car smell”. The car washes where I lived used to sell a service add-on to spray your interior with a perfume that mimicked the smell of a new car. Nothing like the scent of aerosolized plasticizers! :grinning:

If this smell is new and much stronger then before, then I will put the car on a lift and make sure there is nothing burning around the exhaust system.