2020 Mazda Mazda3 - AWD hatch has poor fuel economy

Have an AWD hatch and its fuel economy sucks, consumes more like a v6

What is your typical measured mpg? & what sort of driving, mostly freeways, mostly stop & go around town?

Common causes for reduced mpg

• Engine coolant temp sensor faulty
  • Fuel injectors faulty
2 Likes

AWD vehicles typically are heavier than there FWD/RWD counterparts, with extra weight comes more strain (if you will) on the engine causing more fuel to be required for the same amount of work…

1 Like

What kind of fuel mileage are you actually achieving?
What methodology did you use to arrive at that number?

Saying that the “fuel economy sucks” doesn’t help if there’s no context for comparison.

1 Like

After how many years and miles did your poor fuel develope?
Is your CEL illuminated?

The EPA rates that model at 24 mpg city/32 mpg highway.
What are the actual numbers that the OP is experiencing?

That is a very vital question. If the CEL isn’t lit-up, then the only likely explanation for mpg numbers drastically different from the EPA ratings are the driver’s typical driving patterns/habits, too much “junk in the trunk”, or tires that are not inflated properly.

3 Likes

Alignment out of specs, different size tire then stock, custom wheels/tires, new tires vs worn out tires, any number of things including post above…

Without more info, it is next to impossible to guess at the reason and our crystal balls are out of order…

2 Likes

+1
Yes, those are definitely valid points.
And, in case the OP doubts that a driver’s manner of driving can affect the fuel economy of his vehicles, whenever I drive my friend’s car, I can always increase the mpg readout for that tank of gas w/in 50 miles (or less…) of driving. He isn’t exactly a leadfoot, yet I am able to eke-out better fuel economy from his car than he can.

1 Like