2019 Toyota Avalon blind spot monitor doesn’t work well

Our 2019 Avalon Limited has a right side BSM that detects 4-wheel or more vehicles less than 50 percent of the time. The Avalon has had the problem since it has had 246 miles, it had 203 miles when we bought it. After 5 months, Toyota came up with a fix. After the fix the car still does not detect 50 percent of the vehicles on the right side BSM. Toyota says it is not suppose to work if you pass the car, only if you are being overtaken on the right side. Heck of a system!!!

Sounds legitimate to me.

2 Likes

99% of the drivers can actually see the car they are passing and don’t need a BSM to tell them.

5 Likes

Maybe so; however, a BSM is just that, it should alert you that there is still a moving object in your blind spot. I have a F-150, 2014 Avalon and a 2019 Ford Edge and they pick up 100% everything moving in my blind spot regardless of me passing it or it passing me. The 2019 Avalon has other electronic issues as well. The heads up display works when it wants to and the navigational system does not always get you to your destination or get you there in the most direct way. Addresses are in-town addresses that have been established for 7 to 50 years. I would love to get rid of it, but it has just over 3000 miles (yes, that is 3 and 3 0’s).

It’s under warranty. Look for the customer service number in your owners manual and give them a call. If that doesn’t work, get a lawyer and look into a lemon law suit. In most states, you have a year.

I assume they still have another 2019 on the lot. Ask to take it for a test drive and see if it does the same thing.

Well, it doesn’t say that in the Owners Manual. However, there are quite a few citations in the manual regarding the system functions and limitations. The third from last bullet is especially interesting:

The third from last item seems the most critical area. Some drivers seem to enjoy hiding in your blind spot.

Our 2017 Rav 4 warns us while we are passing a vehicle.

That is about the only use I would have for a BSM!

1 Like

Does it discriminate between civilian and unmarked police vehicles?

I would just be thrilled if it would detect all cars. Our misses semi-trailer trucks and pickups pulling a trailer!

Any car, even when backing out of the driveway, bicycle I have not seen yet, will keep you posted.

It certainly seems like it would be a useful feature if it worked reliably, but it appears the technology isn’t quite ripe yet. Not a show stopper; since cars were invented in the late 1800’s , every one of them had a blind spot monitor. The driver. OP, if this stresses you out, just sell the car.

The BSM in my 2014 Lexus GS has worked perfectly.

I don’t know whether it’s age or the truth or I just know it now, but I[m much more aware that I can’t see as much as I used to, at least in my RAV4 and CRV. It seems like I frequently turn to look and notice blocked sight lines, particularly when looking over my right shoulder.
I wonder in the OP’s situation if it would be to disable the system. Personally, I would rather have no system than one that functions some of the time or in some situations.

My 2010 Kia Forte has reduced visibility due to aerodynamics (shallow rear window slope) and ironically safety features such as thick roof pillars. They are things we just have to adjust to and live with. So far I have not driven a vehicle with BSM.

Hope you’re doing well and glad I’m not alone in this issue clearly a flaw in their BSM.

I came across your post and we’ve seem to agree on something the BSM on the 2019 Avalon is junk especially the right passenger side sensor. I just don’t feel safe in the car and it sucks you pay so much for a car that’s almost luxury for mediocre safety technology which doesn’t work.

I have a 2019 Avalon Touring that was built in May 2019 and I got it in August 2019.

I was driving a 2018 Avalon Limited before and comparing both systems my BSM on my 2018 was always accurate I can’t say the same about my 2019 Avalon is a hit and miss. And yes for some reason the left driver side works better than the right passenger side. My 2018 even when there was a car right next to me not even in the blind spot area the light would come on. My 2019 is a different story I’m literally next to a car and the light won’t come on on the passenger side. We’re not supposed to rely fully on the BSM technology but the the other day I almost changed right into a lane I had my turn signal on didn’t see that there was a car in my blind spot and nearly got into an accident luckily I was able to avoid it.

I don’t know what you have done but I’ve taken my car to 2 different Toyota dealerships and they say the system is running fine and no errors on the computer that’s BS.

The 2nd time I took it 2/1/2020 I told the advisor and he was giving me attitude he’s like the BSM only works when changing lanes and using the turn signal. I’m like that wasn’t the case with my 2018. He’s like you should have gotten a Honda. A Toyota service advisor telling you to get a Honda that’s not right.

I’ve seen other car makes including Lexus and their BSM works perfectly.

I don’t know if you have taken further action to get this issue resolved it’s not right and definitely not for a car in the 45k MSRP territory.

This is the precise reason I’d rather back into a parking space than back out.

There is no substitute for installing fisheye mirrors and looking over your shoulder. Coincidentally, they are also known as blind spot mirrors, and the only time they fail is when one of them falls off or gets broken (or starts to lose its glare due to exposure).

41tKMCtJldL 09-1436428055-car-convex-mirror-03

1 Like

Life is short. Trade it in on something that won’t annoy you.

1 Like