2019 Subaru Legacy - Clock and Metric units

John, you forgot the magic incantation.

Well I guess it is complicated. Still trying to figure out gmt.

What you are trying to say is that they did not want Daylight Savings all the time and have Standard time during the school period so the kids would not be waiting for a bus in the dark .

That is a weak argument , just go by any school morning and you will see lines on vehicles dropping kids off . The school bus does not even come in out addition anymore because no one rode it.

Not everybody can afford to have a nanny get there kids to and from school, a lot of real working parents have to drive to get to there jobs and unless they have a flexible schedule there kids have to ride the bus, I see 3 busses twice a day in my neighborhood as well as many others in multiple counties and school districts… And they ALL have something in common… Kids on them…

If we stayed on daylight saving time, the sun would rise at late as 7:50 AM during the winter in my area. Then people would want to find a way to make the sun to rise one hour earlier, adjusting the clock twice a year is such a nuisance.

My school district does not provide transportation for children who live less than two miles from school, they are expected to walk. There are adults who ride the bus or bicycle to work in the morning, traveling in the dark every morning is unnecessary.

Having school hours begin in the dark would increase that practice, that does not support energy conservation.

Tester

1 Like

Not sure why the clock adjustment isn’t working but the change to PSI is under Screen Settings then Tire Pressure Units.
TPMS switching from KPA to PSI | Subaru Outback Forums

I used to work 6am to 2:30pm to limit my time in DC traffic. I drove about 52 miles each way and this could easily be 1.5 hours or more if I traveled for an 8 to 4:30 day. I got a lot done in the lab when no one was around to disturb me.

Is this a trick question? … lol … When the sun is directly overhead, that’s noon, standard time. Problem of course is sun is only directly overhead at the same time for folks on the same meridian. That version of “noon” in San Francisco occurs at a different time than “noon” in Sacramento. Seems problematic, but it didn’t cause a problem until it became possible for folks to travel long distances quickly, with passenger trains. The owners of train companies
presumably had a lot of political clout in that era, and were easily able to persuade politicians to force residents of all areas from where the sun-overhead was 1/2 hour early to 1/2 hour late to use the same time.

As far as politicians adopting one time scheme and keeping it all year, I don’t see that ever happening. Too many special interests funding political campaigns.

1 Like

Not a trick question but you are right it was the \\RR’s/// that basically standardized it.

1 Like

I used to hold scheduled telephone business meetings with a group who lived in a weird time zone. IIRC, when it was 8 pm here, it was 6:45 am there … lol…

Another unusual time-zone-thing, the entire country of China, 2000 miles east to west, is one big time zone. I expect the capital Beijing is closest to the sun-overhead version of noon.

That’s noon, local time. Standard time takes local time along a standard meridian (examples: 75 degrees west longitude, 90 degrees west longitude, 105, 120, etc., etc.) and applies it to an area east and west of that meridian.

Each standard time zone is, ideally, 15 degrees wide, but of course there are many adjustments due to geographical and political and economic considerations. Example: most of Michigan is in the Eastern time zone. The exception is the counties in the Upper Peninsula that border Wisconsin, which is in the Central time zone. Those counties are in the Central time zone.

Driving through Indiana I always watch the clock in the car switch time zones. Otherwise I’d have no idea.

Yeah. Most of Indiana is Eastern, but near Chicago and the western border, it’s Central.

I absolutely hate the time change crap

lol … good photos. If the only clocks I had to change were as straightforward as changing a mechanical watch, I’d not complain as much. Mechanical watches in my experience don’t pose much trouble as long as you don’t move the hands backward. The problem I have is the electronic clocks. Every one is a little different on what buttons you have to press. Some electronic clocks require pressing two buttons at same time, so there’s a lot of combination to try, frustrating, gives folks a headache.

Thank goodness I don’t need all 150 of them at one time. That photo was only one drawer. I collect and repair watches

Sounds like an interesting hobby. I inherited my dad’s 1940’s-era Elgin watch. I don’t use it b/c of its radioactive display.

Right after graduation a class mate went to watch making school in Switzerland. The rest of us were headed off to college and kind of thought that’s what he should have done. Took over the family store and been happy as a clam for over 50 years now and his son took over. He’s the only one I’ll go to with watch problems. Loves the work. My fingers are too big.

1 Like