2019 Lincoln MKC - Odd noise on the road

on the road, I hear what sounds like a fan noise, or tire noise. Cannot pinpoint it. otherwise, car is fine. Sound is coming from under the hood on driver’s side

It is hard to help without hearing the sound. does it only happen when driving and not running in park? if so, it could be a tire issue. any uneven wear on that side? you can try to put the tires from the front on the back to see if the noise follows.
is this a new problem or did it always make this sound?

Only when I’m driving. It’s not the tires. Picked the sound up about 5 months ago. It’s hard to describe, but again, it shouldn’t be there. When I’m due for maintenance I’ll have them check it out, though I think it will be futile. Th anx for the response

How do you know it is not the tires? Did you already swap them front to back?

Yes, If it were the tires, believe me, I’d know. I;ve owned mamy cars, and have had encountered many situations. If it were the tires, I’d be well healed by now

Wheel bearing? The front wheel bearings went bad on my 2000 Blazer after I put 4 new tires on it. I thought the noise was from the new tires. Does the volume/pitch of the sound change when you turn the steering wheel off center while driving?

Ed B.

Any change in this noise driving in gear vs coasting in N at same mph? If the same, probably engine/transmission related. Next step is a mechanic’s stethoscope, idling the engine. Ask your shop if they’ll do this test for you. A length of hose can be used as a substitute stethoscope. Smaller diameters work better for higher pitch sounds, and visa versa. If nothing heard idling the engine, ask shop if they can put car on their rack and run it in gear.

You are guessing, you don’t know. You think you know but have not proven that is not the cause.

This is a Ford product with a 3 year warranty on all and 5 years on powertrain. Why not use the warranty?

Good luck with your problem, I can’t even make a good guess based on your description.

1 Like