2019 Hyundai Veloster - doors won’t open

This morning, my doors, all 3 of them, would not open. Used all methods of unlocking: button on door, remote, and Blue Link app. Doors were definitely unlocked every time. I lifted the handle, and there was no sound, like they weren’t even trying to release the latch.

The drivers door latch was recalled earlier this year, due to possibly being able to open in a collision, and I had that replaced.

I was able to get into the hatchback, and crawl up to the drivers seat, and the door opened from the inside. Passenger door did too. Got out, shut the door, and none of them would open from the outside again.

I’m wondering if all of the doors are linked together somehow, electronically or something, because they were all doing it. It was 20 degrees this morning, if that somehow affected the latches from the outside only, I don’t know. This is the first time it’s gotten that cold since I’ve had the car. (I think. I got it in March, so it’s possible it’s been in weather just as cold and I don’t remember) I was able to get the doors open at noon when the outside temperature was above freezing. Coincidence? I don’t know.

I took it to the dealer and they “couldn’t replicate the problem”. I don’t think they bothered to take the panel off and look inside. I personally think this problem has to do with the door latch that was replaced, but how, and on all the doors? Anyone else had this problem? Thanks in advance.

A good chance the doors were frozen shut. May happen again the next time it freezes. Silicon spraying the door seals will like prevent that from happening again.

1 Like

There’s no way the doors were frozen shut if OP opened them, then closed them and they immediately wouldn’t open again.

They’re not unlocking from the outside. Car’s still under warranty - take it to the dealership.

2 Likes

I have a 2020 Veloster N, and had the same problem yesterday. Only the drivers door would not open from the outside. Had to open passenger door and open the drivers door from the inside.

It was about 17 degrees Fahrenheit outside here in New York.

It would not open from the outside until interior of the car warmed up … About 10 minutes.

Will be taking it to the dealership very soon.

I have been having the same problem, one night after work this week i couldn’t open the drivers door and i thought the door was frozen shut, so i thought nothing about it.(All the other doors were able to open) But then this morning with the temperature being just under freezing (a lot warmer then the previous incident temperature). The door didn’t open, i was pressing the unlock on my key and i could hear the beep but the door wouldn’t open. After i drove 30 min I got out of my car with it still being unlocked. I shut my car door and tried opening it immediately after and it wouldn’t open.

All these reports make me wonder if they’re using contaminated/wrong grease in the latching mechanisms that solidifies at low temperatures.

1 Like

I had a similar problem 2 years ago, December, with my Dodge Caravan. Early morning, below freezing, following some freezing rain the day before, I tried to open the driver’s door to start the vehicle and pack it with luggage. The door wouldn’t budge!

I tried the other 4 doors and the tailgate and they wouldn’t budge! Near panic, I used my fist and pounded the door around it’s perimeter. I actually had to do that on several doors with no luck, until with shards of ice flaking off, finally one opened. Voila!

I started it and put the heat on high, went back in the house and about 10 minutes later, came out and all the other doors opened, too. We packed and headed south. It took a couple of states, either Ohio or Kentucky, until I watched in the rear-view mirror and could see the last sheet of ice fly off, spinning in the air, and exploding on contact with I-75.

Long story even longer, I solved the freezing door problem for good. That vehicle has been driven and parked in south-west Florida on the state’s Sun Coast since we left and the doors have never frozen, again. Feel the magic!

I came to the conclusion that the problem was the cold, freezing weather! That’s what has caused many, many problems for me over the years. I will be on the road, heading south, very soon. :wink:

:evergreen_tree::sunglasses::evergreen_tree:
CSA

But there was a freeze in Florida this week!

Ha, ha! That freeze in Florida was up in the northern part (I don’t really consider it Florida), near Pensacola, for instance.

We have observed that when we are nice and warm, in our Sun Coast location, the north end of
FL can be downright cool. Their weather is more closely aligned with the adjacent southern states.

I was just commenting to my wife today (because my golf partner vacations in FL near AL), why bother going all that way and stopping there?

Although the cool has spilled into FL, I’m looking at my Wi-Fi thermostat right now (7:00 p.m. Thursday, 11/14/19) and it’s 77 outside, 77% humidity and 76 inside, 55% at our condo on the Sun Coast.

Sounds about right to me. I can’t wait!
CSA

CSA

3 Likes

I remember driving from MN to Louisiana via Mississippi many years ago, in a RWD full sized van. That was entertaining. The road was glass-smooth concrete with a layer of ice on top, and the temp was around 25 degrees. Up here the salt would take care of that, but there wasn’t any salt laid down. I doubt they even had salt to put down. Even though I’m well experienced in winter driving I was having a difficult time. People around me weren’t faring as well. I pulled off at the first motel I found and called it a day before someone rammed me.

I am having this same issue. Drivers side door won’t open from the outside. I tried locking and unlocking using the remote, the Blue Link App, and manually pressing the handle with no luck. The passenger side doors (front and back) open fine as well as the back hatch. The drivers side door opens fine from the inside.

This happened a few days ago and the was fine. It now is happening again. I will be taking it to the dealer (hopefully it still will be ‘broke’ so they can replicate). It seems to be related to cold weather (I am in Buffalo…Go Bills) but it isn’t ‘frozen’.

Has anyone had this issue fixed?

I have found temperatures in the South East to vary quite a bit. From 100F in Florida to 19F in Huntsville Alabama.

The door latch parts are lubed at the manufacturer. The mechanical properties of the lube material change with temperature, generally becoming less slippery the colder it is. Maybe something to do with that. Too much lube or too little lube applied when the car was built, etc. Out of spec clearances in the latch mechanism could cause it too, as temperature changes change the dimensions of metal & plastic parts. The locking mechanism is probably going to have to be taken apart for a look-see to figure it out. You have one advantage, the other doors work so there’s something to compare to.

Dear @common_sense_answer Lived in Del Ray, and Daytona beach, people in FL are crazy, and I got the lawnmower last mulch in yesterday, got the single stage and dual stage snowblowers ready for winter today. I was close enough to the atlantic I did not even need AC, not needing to move though I have been looking at lake properties farther north. I am glad you are happy where you are. Not looking to move that far south again.

I’d love to live in fort Lauderdale or Boca Raton.

Been a little over posting tonight. Got slightly electrecuted and think it is messing with me. Watching Jo Dirt on TV, and enjoying it. So this plug was not coming out of the extension cord, I pulled and pulled, and the face of the extension 3 way socket pulled off, and me with my cat like reflexes caught it before it fell. Giant zap and a new 1/2" long skinny burn on my thumb. It has 2 long metal plates on the inside, which is not a good thing to catch I guess. Not like I have not been electrocuted before, had electronics in high school, and the teacher was really good at guessing ac or dc amps and volts when we got zapped. Then there was the time I stepped on an underground light barefoot at college that zapped me good, put a burn spot in my foot, then there was the time a 220 cord was blocking my ability to put in a gas stove in an apartment, dead the landlord said, it was not, surprised it only arced out part of the blade of the steak knife with a metal tang and rivets, but to keep it car related we used to charge a condenser for points and toss it to someone, what fun we had, though usually most spark shocks only went up my arm and stopped at the elbow, I should be ok soon, thanks for listening. Boca was nice, terrazzo floors, jalousie windows, only a 1 bedroom 1/2 but unfortunately a field of poison Ivy I fell asleep in after drinking a lady under the table at the bar. Luckily it only got my back so I could go to work the next day. Fels Naptha for poison Ivy. Not sure if I still had my shirt on at the time. Cat like reflexes a delivery guy was impressed, wind blew and the form flew up tossing a pen in the air, and I caught the pen mid air, Tae Quan Do training I guess.

I don’t know why I never got an email for any of these responses? Anyway, I took it to the dealer the other day, so they could keep it overnight, outside, in the 8 degree temperature, and then try to open the door the next morning, so they could “replicate the problem”. They couldn’t open it. But, the passenger doors both opened for them. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don’t for me. I’ve been leaving the car unlocked on the nights it gets really cold, so that I’m not locked out of my car.

The guy tells me that this is a known issue for the Veloster and the Elantra. Why didn’t anyone tell me that when I went there the first time?? Instead of telling me they couldn’t do anything because they couldn’t replicate the problem. Grrr. So, they’ve ordered new parts for the doors, and I’ll be taking it back in next week. Hopefully this solves the problem for good.

I don’t know why I never got an email for any of these responses? Anyway, I took it to the dealer the other day, so they could keep it overnight, outside, in the 8 degree temperature, and then try to open the door the next morning, so they could “replicate the problem”. They couldn’t open it. But, the passenger doors both opened for them. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don’t for me. I’ve been leaving the car unlocked on the nights it gets really cold, so that I’m not locked out of my car.

The guy tells me that this is a known issue for the Veloster and the Elantra. Why didn’t anyone tell me that when I went there the first time?? Instead of telling me they couldn’t do anything because they couldn’t replicate the problem. Grrr. So, they’ve ordered new parts for the doors, and I’ll be taking it back in next week. Hopefully this solves the problem for good.

Kathy , you do not need to reply to each post as they are all seen here . You don’t always get an email response if the reply post does not tag you .