2019 Honda Accord Sdn - Oil change lready?

I have a 2019 Honda Accord purchased new 24 months a go. My mileage is 1,478. My gauge state that oil maintenance is due. With little mileage is this accurate?

Probably it is . If you will look in the least read book in the world ( Vehicle Owners manual ) you will see that service is done by XXXX number of miles and XX number of months . I really hope you have not gone 24 months without an oil and filter change .

5 Likes

Most makers will say go by the oil life monitor OR once a year whichever comes first . If it has been 2 years you have technically voided your engine warranty most likely .

5 Likes

I am going to slightly revise your otherwise-accurate statement to read as follows:
ā€¦ you will see that service is done by XXXX number of miles OR XX number of monthsā€“whichever comes first.

For reasons that I will probably never understand, a LOT of people focus only on the odometer mileage factor and donā€™t seem to comprehend the verbiage of ā€œwhichever comes firstā€.

+1
While I hope for the OPā€™s sake that he hasnā€™t voided the warranty, to the best of my knowledge every car manufacturer states that the oil has to be changedā€“at a minimumā€“once every 12 months. After the warranty has ended, a car owner can do whatever he wants, but during the warranty period it is necessary to adhere to the manufacturerā€™s standards for maintenance.

5 Likes

The type of driving you are doing is the absolute worst that can be done. A 60 miles a month average and not changing the oil in 2 years can lead to oil sludging or coking problems.

With your type of driving I would want the oil changed every 6 months because the oil is never getting warmed up to operating temperature and quite likely not burning off any accumulated moisture.

6 Likes

the oil is too old even though you did not drive your car so much

Would be helpful if the OP told us if itā€™s one 60 mile drive per month or a 2 mile drive per day (or whatever).
If itā€™s the former then 2 years is not such a disaster.

To maintain my Toyota warranty oil has to be changed every year, no matter the mileage.

3 Likes

The manual calls for a service after one year, regardless of the mileage, has been the case for Hondaā€™s since at least my dadā€™s 2007 CRV which went in for an oil change once a year which amounted to every 4-5 thousand miles. Dad only drove 10mi a day a few days a week and used our Prius around town most of the time.

1 Like

The oil life monitor measures a number of things, plugs those measurements into a computer program, and decides when you need an oil change. The program was designed by Honda engineers that have been studying the issue of when to change the oil for decades. I think you can believe them, and you need to change the oil now. Total mileage is not the only thing that matters.

Your extremely short drives are a component too. Actually, I suggest that you take your car out for at least a half hour of continuous driving once every other week if you donā€™t already. This will warm up the engine and clear out moisture. It also keeps the battery charged.

1 Like

Honda no longer uses a recommended maintenance time/mileage schedule. The customerā€™s only guidance is to use the vehicleā€™s maintenance minder system.

While two years does feel like a long time to me, is there any evidence that r.terryfurst isnā€™t following Hondaā€™s recommended oil change intervals?

2 Likes

Again, an unfounded assumption.
OP didnā€™t say they drive daily. It could be longer but infrequent trips.
OP hasnā€™t come back to say anything.
However, I agree once a year oil change would be the prudent thing to do.

I would think dealer would have sent you a few (2) emails inquiring about missed service.

1 Like

I get all kinds of emails from my dealer encouraging me to come in for service, they have little to do with my actual service needs.

3 Likes

"Maintenance Minder TM
If the engine oil life is less than 15%, you will see the Maintenance Minder messages
appear on the driver information interface every time you set the power mode to
ON. The messages notify you when to change the engine oil, or when to bring your
vehicle to a dealer for indicated maintenance services."

"U.S. models
CODE Maintenance Main Items

A ā— Replace engine oil1*
B ā— Replace engine oil1 and oil filter*
ā— Inspect front and rear brakes
ā— Inspect tie rod ends, steering gearbox, and boots
ā— Inspect suspension components
ā— Inspect driveshaft boots
ā— Inspect brake hoses and lines (Including ABS/VSAĀ®)
ā— Inspect all fluid levels and condition of fluids
ā— Inspect exhaust system#
ā— Inspect fuel lines and connections#

(fine print below Maintenance Main Items)
*1: If a Maintenance Minder message does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year.
# : See information on maintenance and emissions warranty in the first column on page 709.
*2: If you drive in dusty conditions, replace the air cleaner element every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).
**3: If you drive primarily in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air from industry and *
from diesel-powered vehicles, replace the dust and pollen filter every 15,000 miles (24,000 km)."

Note that on page 611 of a 727 page 2019 Honda Accord Owner Manual, literally in fine print, it says:
ā€œ1: If a Maintenance Minder message does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year.ā€

I can see how this would be overlooked and I can see how somebody would become reliant on the Maintenance Minder.

It seems that Honda should be able to program the time passage into the Message Minder.

To use a mix of electronics and printed materials (with literally fine print below), both, to advise somebody of maintenance intervals is confusing. In my opinion the Manufacturer should choose either electronic OR written material, not a mix of two.

When one relies on a GPS navigation system they shouldnā€™t have to check a paper map to see if they missed anything. The electronics replaces the paper.

Also, the sales department at the dealership owes a car buyer an admonition that this system given to the owner is confusing.

I really donā€™t believe any/much harm has befallen this vehicle. For peace of mind, an oil sample could be collected at oil change time and sent off to Blackstone Labs (in a bottle provided gratis from the lab) for analysis, to be sure everything is okay.

CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

Person buys new Honda.
Dealer sends emails asking if service is needed.
Itā€™s been 2 years.
No dealer record of any service.
Ignore emails.
Ah, thatā€™s it. Ask website for opinion.

Iā€™d rely on the owners manual, which says change the oil at least once a year. Iā€™ve gotten lots of bogus recommendations from dealers. A friend showed me their owners manual and the ā€˜service recommendationsā€™ manual printed by their Honda dealer. The dealer recommended much more frequent services than the owners manual. Iā€™d go with the owners manual.

Itā€™s an astrisk in the owners manual but basically says even if the minder hasnā€™t said itā€™s time to change the oil, do if itā€™s been 12mo since the last oil change. Itā€™s been this way since at least 2007 because Dadā€™s CRV had the same language in the manual.

Honda uses a break in oil that they tell you to leave it alone until the minder turns the light on but our dealer was a little shocked that it took almost 2yrs and about 9,000 miles for the computer to call for an oil change. Went to an annual change after that.

3 Likes

there must be a software update dealers were begging Honda to implement to close this gap and make reminders to pop up like a clock-work :slight_smile:

on my 2020 Accord it seems that %% were dropping off with it sitting motionless for weeks at a time when pandemic started and did not drive much if at all

Dadā€™s 2019 CR-V uses a more conservative version of the software as part of Hondaā€™s efforts to curb the oil dilution issues, itā€™s worth the $65 or so for an oil change just for piece of mind. Dadā€™s been staying home except for 1-2 supply runs into town a week so hasnā€™t been piling on the miles except for a few day trips to the mountains.