2019 Honda Accord Hybrid: intermittent "brake system" warning light and on-dash warnings

After dealer visit and they change the front bearings and reset the computer, I drove over 500 miles without any lights coming back on.

you have to get past 3-4 thousand miles before you know if you are out of the woods

in my case, issue reoccurs totally erratically with the interval between 1 and 3000 miles

I can’t even begin to imagine how pissed you must be dude! I have a 2017 Accord Hybrid and the same thing happened to me 2 days ago. My case is a little different tho. I have 90000 miles on my car(purchased at 0 miles). Used to drive for Uber and Lyft. Never had any issues with the car except changing the tires 3 times because of a leak on the wall. However, this is the second time I’ve paid $800 for getting the car serviced. Never even paid anything close to that for getting my Camaro serviced. They told me it was “recommended” to get the fluids flushed, etc. and it will cost extra. Wanting to keep my car in the perfect condition as it used to be, I didn’t ask any questions and told them to do everything that was recommended. I know how dealers make money but I was too tired to go to a different places and check. So I agreed to pay the additional amount and get everything done. Picked up my car around 4:00 pm and went home. I noticed a weird noise whenever the brakes were applied. Didn’t pay attention thinking it must have something to do with flushing the brake fluid and it might just go away. Drove the car again the same night for about 30 minutes and the warning signs came on for the first time. This time I noticed the brakes not feeling the way they used to before I got the car serviced. My car failed to stop twice. First time happened while marking a U-Turn, the second time was scary. I was doing 40 and the lights were green. A police cruiser decided to cross the intersection with its lights flashing and my freakin car wouldn’t stop! I think he realized I wasn’t slowing down so he stopped. Luckily, my car stopped right at the light. All this happened the same night. I didn’t drive the car after that for one whole day. And told the dealer about it and dropped it off today. All the warning signs are still there, also, as soon as I push the brake pedal, it makes a weird noise, every, time. The dealer says we will try to find out what the problem is. If it’s related to the service we performed, we will take care of it. If not you’ll have to pay $80 for diagnostic. Are you freakin kidding me? Everything was perfectly fine right before I dropped it off for servicing. As I’m typing this message, I just received a text from the dealer saying my car is ready for pick up. It’s only been 2 hours. I’m gonna go pick it up and update you guys with what happened.

sorry to hear you have troubles with your Accord

one guy I know drives his 2018 Accord Hybrid for Lyft and he also ticked up something like 70K miles by now, but in his case the car completely died on him and required some integrated controller module replaced, with $2500 out of pocket :frowning:

I suggested to him to talk to Honda corporate to check if they would provide any kind of relief to to hole in his pocket (which he already paid 100%) as that kind of troubles should not have happened on 2-years old car shortly after warranty lapsed

to my surprise, they covered 100% of his expense

I’m not as lucky, they selected to go legal in my case

it may be worth trying for you to talk to Honda corporate too… just pay attention they owe you nothing on warranty by now, so this is “sweet talk” type of the talk

Hi, I’m not sure if this helps you in any way, but I picked up my car and is now perfect. The culprit was a small air bubble in the brake like. I’m guessing it got there when they flushed the whole thing and pumped new fluid. All the warning signs are gone and the car is perfect again. The brakes feel the way they used to when I bought the car. My car is just a little more than 2 years old. Hope this helps anyone out there having the same problem where the dealer can’t figure out what the problem is. I also hope things work out for you, I know exactly how it feels to spend an absurd amount of money on a car that is known for reliability. I was going to buy a 5 series but I decided to buy the accord hybrid just because I kept thinking the service cost would be low and the car would be more reliable me than a BMW. In the end, all’s well that ends well. I will however be thinking twice before buying another accord.

You can’t blame Honda for a dealer that performed more services than the manufacturer recommends, charges a premium for them and then screws up on the brake fluid flush. That’s a lousy dealer, not a lousy car. You yourself said you had no real problems with the car before this dealer did two expensive maintenance services on it

Totally agree with you. I just wish that car manufacturers would have more control and restrictions on a dealer. And maybe a more knowledgeable staff. Seems like a lot of people are having the same issue and not one dealer is able to figure out what’s wrong with car?

Honda will not like their reputation tarnished by one of their licensed dealers. You can always communicate your displeasure to the manufacturer. Ever seen one of those dealer requests that you convey any displeasure to them first? Their reputation at the manufacturer level dictates which and how many cars they get etc so they are very keen to have a clear scorecard with the manufacturer…

A dealer pushing more services than needed? That’s the rule, not the exception.

As far as greendragon’s problem: it sounds to me that Honda’s likely response is to re-program the infotainment system so that it never displays this problem. The quickest way to get past a non-safety problem!
I have a little concern that greendragon is weakening his case by continuing to drive the car. Of course, by now, he has much more knowledge than I do about the whole process. He is very professional. I might have just parked my car blocking the dealer’s driveway and gone on TV. Regardless of that, he has convinced me not to buy a Honda. This plus their Civic engine problems and response are not like the old Honda corporate that I trusted since my first Accord in 1977. Those execs were proud of their car.

1 Like

When we bought our 2019 Odyssey, the salesman and manager said that if we had any complaints, they wanted to know about them ASAP so that they could make things right. The reason they gave was that American Honda would send us a survey, and if the dealer got anything but good marks, Honda would be all over them.

thank you guys for reminding me to ping my lawyer :slight_smile:

Last time I’d heard from her in late June and it was some papers the judge requested from Honda and they were waiting on it…

I know it is a long wait, so yeh, I keep driving this beast and surprisingly it only “failed” once over last 2 months, likely because I drive it much less nowadays

Guess what guys, another major problem. Was driving down the freeway and heard a noise followed by a lot of smoke. Pulled the car over and turned it off. Got out and found the oil leaking. Got the car towed to Honda thinking it must be a loose oil filter. Nope. I wish. The engine has a hole in it! Waiting to hear from the dealer to see if they will cover it. I purchased the vehicle brand new and I have a lifetime warranty on the power train. ! image|300x400

Yeah, we got that line from the dealer when we bought our 97 Accord (new in 97). Soon after the purchase, the power door locks began cycling as you drive down the road. Wife took it in the first two times “could not duplicate the problem”. I took it in and parked it out near the back of the lot overnight.

Came in the next morning and took the service writer out to the car, and there is was, just sitting there with the locks clicking (locking over and over). She said something like, oh that’s a common problem, needs a new master lock in the drivers door. They fixed it but I was not happy with having to bring it in three times for a commonly known problem. Did not give them a good review. Never got that survey from Honda again.

Checked with my lawyer and the lemon case is finally off the indefinite wait.
My court date is February 24th, 2022 and it looks like I would need to show up for that in person.

Ah, the wheels of justice indeed move slowly. Whatever is breaking your car may be breaking this thread too … lol … scrolling down at around the number 120 message mark, at least on this computer , the website message counter goes backward.

I think the best practical instruction for preparing for court appearances is to watch episodes of the tv show Rumpole of the Bailey.

One thing you got going for you, at least you can use your car. I haven’t been able to drive my Corolla since the start of the pandemic.

1 Like

Why ? What does the Pandamic have to do with it.

1 Like

Calif requires emissions testing, which means the tester guy has to sit in the drivers seat and drive the car for 15 minutes (on a treadmill). I’m not willing to take the Covid chance. So I just drive my truck instead.

I have to take my car for emissions testing this month, and it also requires the test guy to sit in the car and drive it for a short distance inside the inspection station. I will be wearing an N95 mask, and I will pull into the nearest parking lot immediately after the test in order to sanitize the car’s interior. When I get home, my clothes will go into the wash immediately, and then I will sanitize the car’s interior again.

something tells me guys you overthink it, it’s air-vectored virus after all, so using respirator and then just letting car sit on the sun with windows open for 30 minutes will give you 100% reliable protection

myself, after getting vaccinated, I grew fatalistic about that, pretty much limiting precautions to “reasonable level in high-threat situations only”

we all gonna contact it… some through vaccine… some for real… some for both

1 Like