2019 Ford Ranger - Problem after spraying

I have a 2019 Ranger XTR that has the same problem. I had the switch cleaned once only for the fault to return 6 months later. I too live in a cold snowy climate and I get my autos sprayed seasonally. Of all the autos I have sprayed over 50 years this is the first one that had this problem. I feel Ford should be doing some kind of recall to fix this problem but I’m not holding my breath. I guess this will be my last Ford product if something is not done. I paid $169.56 just to get the OBD reading and they want over $300 to fix the problem

Contaminated fuel tank pressure sensor? Don’t spray oil on the vapor canister or the top of the fuel tank.

The same as… ?

Which switch?

What was the Diagnostic Trouble Code that they found?

4 Likes

Those are reasonable & competitive prices. Vehicles are much more complicated these days, computers on wheels, so the 1970/80 era typical $75 parts and labor fee to diagnose & fix a minor problem like this, those days are long gone.

Your post isn’t clear about what exactly happened, but I’m presuming your truck’s check engine light turned on , and the shop discovered a diagnostic code for the evap system. The check engine light might have turned on and off seemingly at random by itself, intermittently over the course of several months. That CEL behavior is apparently not unusual for modern design evap system problems. For the evap system to work correctly, it must be air-tight. The computer is only able to test the evap system’s air-tightness under certain conditions, usually it does the test when the ambient and engine coolant temperature is cool , first start in the morning. The fuel tank pressure sensor is used for this test, so if it isn’t working correctly, the CEL will turn on when the computer performs this test. If that sensor got sprayed with oil, the oil could get into the electrical connector and cause the connections to have higher than allowed resistance. Oil could damage the sensor directly if the sensor has any plastic or rubber parts, which oil can soften & degrade over time.

Suggest to fix what’s broken, then avoid spraying in that area. You also might ask your shop if it is possible for them to construct a bespoke shield to prevent spray from reaching that area.

As far as Ford’s responsibility, I expect you already know that Ford and all vehicle manufacturers are required to meet strict gov’t anti-pollution standards. One of these is the evap system must be air tight. So most vehicles these days have some type of evap pressure sensor. I doubt Ford’s is any better or worse than any of the other manufacturers. Suggest to bite the bullet and get it fixed. You might can save a few $$$ by using an inde shop for this rather than a Ford Dealership, although suggest consult the Dealership beforehand about warranty risks you might take on using a shop other than a dealership.