2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Lifter Roller Broke!

I am not posting this to argue, be mocked or ridiculed.

Last week I took a old friends Dodge Ram out after doing some brake work on it. This is the same 2019 Ram with under 100k on it equipped with the 5.7l that has the odometer that runs backwards.

I drove normally as always but could not resist the urge to “open it up” and I floored it and ran it to redline from 0 to about 70mph ONE time. It started missing and flashing the check engine light.

The engine started hammering! Not missing driving normally just making a rhythmic collapsed lifter like noise. Unless you gave it over 2/3 throttle it ran perfectly smooth. No continual check engine light.

The news is in today, a broken roller! I know these are prone to lifter failures but the roller usually locks up, this appears it broke into pieces.

Poor metallurgy? Lifter got stuck? Another victim of cylinder deactivation?

Anyone else see this before? Mechanic is at a loss. The plastic lifter tray is not broken. Vehicle has had oil changed according to the oil life monitor and I recommended oil used. I believe 5w20.

What a pickle!

The 2019 Ram 5.7L HEMI is known to experience lifter issues, particularly lifter tick, which can indicate lubrication problems or early wear. Regular oil changes and using high-quality oil can help mitigate these issues.

Tester

Maybe this is just a case of “stuff happens”? Maybe an inclusion in the parent metal the roller was made from? Maybe bad heat treat?

Splitting the roller is odd. Far more likely to damage the bearings and then flat spot the roller and wreck the cam OR turn sideways and destroy the cam.

I hope the pieces ended up in the pan rather that stuck between a rod and the crank causing more damage.