2019 Chevrolet Equinox - Premium Fuel?

Hello - we just purchased (brought) a 2019 Equinox 2.0 Turbo and found out the gas preference is Premium. Is this truly necessary? Thank you for you reply!

Yes it is.

1 Like

If the folks who designed and built the vehicle say Use Premium Fuel Only, then use premium fuel only! If it says premium fuel recommended, then you can use either premium or regular.

3 Likes

Usually, the answer is on the inside of the fuel door.

1 Like

And if it’s not, this information is always in the Owners Manual

1 Like

Hey, that’s my line! I looked it up in the owner’s manual on page 256:

For the LTG 2.0L L4 turbo engine, premium unleaded gasoline meeting ASTM specification D4814 with a posted octane rating of 93 is highly recommended for best performance and fuel economy. Unleaded gasoline with an octane rated as low as 87 can be used. Using unleaded gasoline rated below 93 octane, however, will lead to reduced acceleration and fuel economy.
If knocking occurs, use a gasoline rated at 93 octane as soon as possible, otherwise, the engine could be damaged. If heavy knocking is heard when using gasoline with a 93 octane rating, the engine needs service.

So, yeah, you can use 87 octan regular in the 2L engine unless it knocks. Your loss in gas mileage might make the savings in buying cheaper regular nothing.

2 Likes

Gotta love those puny little turbo motors !!!

higher octane is for reduced propensity to preignite. but new motors have adjustable timing and fuel control and even mechanical control of timing. cvvt? i think manual is saying motor will take care of it.

We’ve got another one who spends thousands on a new car but is reluctant to spend the few extra bucks on the recommended fuel! How many of these folks can there be?

simple . . .

get premium top-tier fuel at Costco , when you go shopping on the weekend

I’d say the supply is endless based on what we see here!

1 Like

Yep! The supply is endless in ANY industry, not just automotive stuff. People spend good money but want to pinch pennies rather than do it completely right. At least this keeps us service people working.

I once did an experiment with a 1996 S-10 with the 2.2L 4 cylinder. It was about the most GUTLESS truck so I was willing to do ANYTHING to see if that could be improved. I tried going up to the 89 octane mid-grade fuel sold here and this made a noticeable difference in the power and response from the weak engine. It also got better mileage and the cost to use the mid-grade was the same. I then tried premium and that was counterproductive. Mileage and power went down and I was paying the most so that didn’t work.

Apparently the engine should run just fine on 87 but it ran a tad better on 89 so that is what I always used. I would only run the basic stuff in a turbo if it was all you could find.

Ouch! Rough neighborhood.

Them (CarolRyba) just asked if premium was necessary, that’s all. Them didn’t wish to be tarred and feathered.

A good salesperson (do they exist anymore?) should have been informed and honest while selling the vehicle.

It was actually a good question and deserves some helpful replies.

At the filler cap where the gas goes in should be a placard indicating the octane rating of gasoline required/preferred.

Premium required, means just that or engine damage could result.

Premium recommended means that you can use regular 87 grade or try premium gas. The mileage and performance could vary depending on fuel, but no engine damage will occur.
CSA
:evergreen_tree::sunglasses::evergreen_tree: