2018 vs 2010 Honda: Age vs beauty

Hi all, I am an older lady with two Hondas. Both have about 60,000 miles and neither has had major problems. Neither has been garaged. I am moving to a place where I only have room for one. Seeking advice on whether the older Honda Fit is likely to deteriorate sooner and need more maintenance later. Details:

My 2010 Fit (base model, automatic transmission) has mostly been driven locally in a small Texas town (less than a mile a day most days), with only a few long trips. Exterior trim around windshield and windows is starting to discolor and deteriorate from sun exposure.

My sister’s 2018 Honda Civic is a beautiful car in excellent shape with rear view cameras, a sun roof and Apple Car Play. My sister’s daily commute was 2 hours on highways for the first year, and then it sat for a year before I received it. It was not garaged but has been parked in shade in Virginia until I brought it to Texas several months ago.

I love my old Honda with its great visibility and all of the room. The Civic’s rear view cameras are a very helpful safety feature and I find I miss those when driving the Fit. I am considering upgrading the Fit with rear view cameras and Apple Car Play and replacing the windshield and window trim so I can sell the Civic.

Choices:

Sell the beautiful Civic in excellent shape and make more money to invest in the Fit?
Sell the Fit for not much $$$ and keep the newer Civic (with less room to haul and less visibility)?

Since I am older, this is likely to be the last car I own. I have considered putting the Civic out by the airport as a car share rental for income.

My question is, am I setting myself up for more maintenance costs in the future if I keep my older Fit? I am concerned about perhaps needing a new automatic transmission at some point.

Thank you all for your advice. I appreciate you!

Yes, in view of its age and, because of…

1 Like

There are still some new 2020 Honda Fit vehicles left for sale. Since you like it call your local Honda dealer tell them you would like one and you have 2 vihicles to trade in . They might bring one in from another dealer . It might be that it works for you or not.

I’d sell the Fit, I wouldn’t rent out my car, but that’s me.

Well, I have a 2013 Honda Fit base/automatic (only car Honda makes in Japan). Check to see where your 2010 was made. I have more faith in the made in Japan cars (not many now). Look into costs of “rehabbing” deteriorating trim.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice! Yes, I have heard that driving short distances can be harder on cars. That will surely come back to bite me later.

Thanks! I have thought about that but haven’t looked into it. I can’t afford to spend more right now, so will probably stick with the newer Civic.

I don’t know how to find out where the Fit was made, but thanks for the advice.

Oops, sorry, I replied on the wrong box. Yes, I agree with you. Renting out my car sounds like a headache. I will keep it simple and keep the newer car.

Yes, I love my Fit! I don’t really know how to find out if it was made in Japan, though. I am guessing that the way it has been driven - short distances- is probably the most important factor I should consider.

Thanks for weighing in. I appreciate you!

on your car jamb there should be a tag that will tell you where its made.
example…

No, it IS harder on cars, and this type of driving is called “Severe Service” by vehicle manufacturers. I really hope that you have been changing the oil on the basis of elapsed time (at least every 6 months), rather than on the basis of odometer mileage.

Not even worth the time it takes to worry about it .

3 Likes

Huh?
I don’t own a Honda Fit.
I’m not sure why you replied to me.
:thinking:

+1
After 11 years of use, the way that the car has been driven and the way that it has been maintained is FAR more important than where it was made.

1 Like

Thanks, VDCDriver. I have been changing oil based on the maintenance reminders that appear on the dash. Presumably those are based on mileage, not time. I will start changing oil every 6 months.

I will look for it! Thanks!

I would not worry about where it is made. they are suppose to be built to the same standards. but the tag is useful to know what your tire pressure should be or if you need to know the paint code which should be on there.

If that means the oil changes have been much less frequent than every six months, that type of regimen–coupled with the type of driving that you have been doing for 11 years–likely means that the engine is already filled with damaging oil sludge. Personally, I wouldn’t keep that car, but if you do want to keep it, I strongly suggest that you do a few 2-month oil changes in the hope that they might get some of that sludge out of the engine.

I strongly suggest that you have a mechanic–a REAL mechanic, not someone from a tire shop or a quick oil change place–remove the valve cover and inspect inside for accumulated sludge. If he finds it, ask him how much it would cost to have him to do some engine disassembly in order to remove the sludge.

Here are some examples of what the inside of your engine might look like.

Ouch! Those photos tell the story, don’t they?

With everyone’s feedback, it seems clear that I should keep the newer Civic and sell the Fit. I don’t have the money to invest in de-sludging the engine or fixing it up before I sell, but I will market it honestly and be clear with prospective buyers about how I have driven it and its maintenance history.

Thanks again for the great advice and photos!

I refer to that tag every time I check tire pressures- but never read the rest of the tag for more information. If my tag has the paint color then I will definitely check it out! Thanks!